Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the "Tractor Supply one", mentioned on here?
Here is what I am working on. The hydraulic fluid did not appear to have water in it but it definitely had small metal flakes. I drained it and replaced with AW32. I added a filter with 2 magnetic plugs and stuck another mag plug in the return line. The engine/pump mounting plate is showing some green after pressure washing. I suspect this may be a John Deere trinket.

Attachments

• after-pw.JPG
    after-pw.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • mag-plugs.JPG
    mag-plugs.JPG
    811.1 KB · Views: 0
Here is what I am working on. The hydraulic fluid did not appear to have water in it but it definitely had small metal flakes. I drained it and replaced with AW32. I added a filter with 2 magnetic plugs and stuck another mag plug in the return line. The engine/pump mounting plate is showing some green after pressure washing. I suspect this may be a John Deere trinket.
I still have a bunch of details to work out but here is how far I got yesterday. I replaced the steel lines with hose so I can try to set it up per the Cross valve instructions that say the plumbing is backwards. I changed the engine oil also. It was nasty but no obvious metal. I stuck in a magnetic drain plug in any case.

Attachments

• hosed.JPG
    hosed.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks, a lot for the info. Glad to see how it fits.
Splitter must be loud with only flex pipe for exhaust, lol
The original Briggs muffler is on the other end. It is still loud. I had to move the exhaust away because I was getting gassed.

Attachments

• 8hp.jpg
    8hp.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 0
Too Much for a 12-1/2-ton splitter, I think, and TOO MUCH $$$
My splitter is 9-1/2 ton at 2,000 PSI. The 4 way does not slow it down at all. The 6 way is too much money for sure.

I suspect the 8 HP engine has a lot to do with it never stalling. I am still trying to figure out the pump. It's a Viking GP051870-CO. I can't find it in the Viking manuals. Does this look like a 2 stage pump? The in and out ports are 3/4" NPT.

Attachments

• GP051870_CO.jpg
    GP051870_CO.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • GP051870+CO.jpg
    GP051870+CO.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Your pump is different than mine.
My pressure port is on top, suction port on bottom, which is only 5/8" hose barb.
Mine is 2-speed, as Ram slows down on hard logs, then shifts after cracking thru and goes faster.
Have to put photo up here.

Here's a spec sheet on Didier's - hope you can read it.

didier.jpg

Shari
I started with Wife'nHubby's Didier's spec sheet and added info from the manuals that I could find from the brands that Didier supplied splitters to. I limited this to older 3", 3-1/2" and 4" diameter cylinder splitters. This is a work in progress in case anyone has something to add.
1714574375537.jpeg

Valve works great, so far, does have the return kick out when retracting ram.
4" cylinder. which I had resealed by Hydraulic shop.
Using the cylinder speed calculator linked in this thread and the Viking pump manual I realized that my 19 second cycle time was a bit slow. The calculator came up with 15.4 seconds for my 7.2 GPM at 3,600 RPM pump. The 8 HP Briggs tached out at 3,580 RPM so that was close enough. Obviously my splitter is quite old and judging by the amount of metal that came out in the hydraulic oil there will be some internal wear contributing to the slower cycle time. I did notice that the suction line from the tank was stepped down from 1/2" NPT to 3/8" NPT. I swapped out the 3/8" stuff for 1/2 " plumbing and the cycle time dropped by 2 seconds. That gets the splitter to within 1.6 seconds of what the calculator says it should be running at. 2 seconds does not sound like much but I want to have at least 10 cord split for the next season.

The filter must be working because there was no metal in the oil when I drained it to replace the plumbing. I also added another magnetic drain plug in the tee.

Attachments

• .5_npt.jpg
    .5_npt.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back