Safe Bar Length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hotajax

hotajax

ArboristSite Operative
Stihl 021. I have a "factory" manual. There's shitttloads of useless safety info, but nothing on what "safe" bar lengths I can use. Be careful not to cut off your foot. Yeah right. How do you find out this info? Thanks.

esean

esean

ArboristSite Operative
As far as safety goes, I think a shorter bar can be more dangerous. Its less visible so its easier to get careless about where it is. For functionality a 36cc saw is usually happy with a 14" bar, 16" max, depending on what you're cutting.

Valpen

Valpen

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
As far as safety goes, I think a shorter bar can be more dangerous. Its less visible so its easier to get careless about where it is. For functionality a 36cc saw is usually happy with a 14" bar, 16" max, depending on what you're cutting.
I echo what is mentioned here.
I have a 16" on mine, and it works very nicely.
Remember it is a narrow chain, so it has less wood-width to cut, to 16" is ok for 36cc.
Just handle it lightly so it doesn't bog-down in large diameter stuff, and you have the benefiit of the extra reach to save your back when doing limbing etc...