What should I keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl
What do you mean the 440 is a homeowner saw it's a professional saw man one of the best Stihl ever put out
stihl? Didnt the OP say husky. Maybe Im getting muddled and Im more of a stihl person but I remember the 440 being a 40ish cc job.

Stihl

stihl? Didnt the OP say husky. Maybe Im getting muddled and Im more of a stihl person but I remember the 440 being a 40ish cc job.
I apologize he did say Husqvarna 440 I don't know if husky made a 440 maybe he's thinking the 455 But, if in fact it is a Stihl 440 that's a keeper that's the least of 70 CC saw

I apologize he did say Husqvarna 440 I don't know if husky made a 440 maybe he's thinking the 455 But, if in fact it is a Stihl 440 that's a keeper that's the least of 70 CC saw
Yup those old stihls are workhorses. I have a 460 which has had everything replaced except the crank and its still amazing.

The 440 is very much a "thing" not confused 455 and the old Stihl 044/440 was a great saw in its day, still a good saw- but getting pretty old school now.

1714425533200.png

Picked the saws up today, haven’t done compression checks but started everything but the 271. 271 is a lost cause, broken handle, broken wrap, missing throttle linkage, broken top cover, broken clutch cover, area around the clutch looks melted like someone ram it with the brake on. Only good thing about it is it has the same chainbrake handle as the 280 and the 280s is broken. Few of them need sprockets and chains, 029 needed air filter cover. But all very minor stuff it seems. Gonna do compression checks tomorrow and see if any are hurting there. The 034 is running lean though, so hopefully it just got dirty sitting and hasn’t been damaged too bad. I was very surprised so many of these started up at the price I paid for them though.

The 440 is very much a "thing" not confused 455 and the old Stihl 044/440 was a great saw in its day, still a good saw- but getting pretty old school now.

View attachment 1173585
That’s the one. It’s not a great saw, but it always starts easy and runs, if it ever gives me a reason to get rid of it I will though, it surely doesn’t make the power I’d like to have.

Id keep the 034 or 028 as spares (assuming the compression is OK and the piston looks OK) and sell the rest. If you be honest about the condition of the saws, photograph the pistons and are prepared to ship them, you should get your money back.

Id keep the 034 or 028 as spares (assuming the compression is OK and the piston looks OK) and sell the rest. If you be honest about the condition of the saws, photograph the pistons and are prepared to ship them, you should get your money back.
Are you talking about a Stihl 440? Cause OP is talking about a Husqvarna 440:
husqvarna 440

Okay, lets look at the two you want to keep.
034 as you have read today is getting very hard to find 46mm pistons for if needed- but can be turned into a 48mm Super or 036 fairly easily.
028WB is a Rancher/Farmer model and has a handguard not a chain brake, they are pretty bulletproof- but not idiot proof.

"I had a 391 for just past its warranty but it tore the piston up really bad and I’m still not sure why that one did that, I maintained that saw very well and I’ve never scarred one up like that before, I think it may have been a defect."

Is a bit alarming to read- "not sure why"- but about to dive into some bunch of unknown's for plug and play?
Any Stihl is not cheap to get parts for- well for good parts anyhow.

Need to get them in hand and go through each, decide what us viable and what is not.
034 is the pick of the bunch for what you are likely to be cutting, with the 440 for smaller stuff- but it is likely to need refreshed in all the expendables from main oil seals up- pass pressure and vacuum testing and have good compression and you will have a reliable old saw.

I still have 46mm NOS OEM 034 cylinders in the trading post. Meteor has pistons.

What do you mean the 440 is a homeowner saw it's a professional saw man one of the best Stihl ever put out
He has a Husky 440, different animal. My uncle had one. (2.4hp 41 cc). He couldn't even run 3/8 chain with it. He put a lot of hours on it without trouble but it is what it is.

He has a Husky 440, different animal. My uncle had one. (2.4hp 41 cc). He couldn't even run 3/8 chain with it. He put a lot of hours on it without trouble but it is what it is.

Because they were never designed nor intended to run with standard 3/8 chain!
Show me a modern day 40cc saw that is?

Many big box store saws come with 3/8 lp chain. 120 (MII), 130, 135 (MII), 240, T435 and T540XP are some examples.

It didn't like 3/8 LP chain or standard 3/8 chain on it, we tried both, even with a short bar it was too much to ask. The .325 worked but you couldn't get aggressive with the rakers.

Back