Jacaranda Troubleshooting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayoung414

Reaction score
I need some help with my jacaranda. Planted this from a seed and planted in the yard in North Central Florida. Thought it died during the winter, but it started growing again and now has these four “trunks”. All are about a thumbs width. Each is pretty strong and has a bunch of bottom off shoots. Roughly 12ft tall Do I continue to let it grow? Or cut all but one? Will it ever have a sturdy trunk with the gorgeous canopy? Thanks for any help!!
image.jpg

Thank you for responding!!

The problem is is that it was a single trunk until the frost. Now it’s four. That site makes it seem like I shouldn’t prune if it’s a single trunk. I could be wrong…I just don’t know
I think the more you prune yours, the more little suckers you're going to get growing up from the bottom.
My initial reply, before I found that article, was to leave the two in the middle and remove the outer two trunks.
But after looking at other photos and at yours again, yours, I think, will fill out to a nice fan shape in time.
I was hoping an expert would chime in here. Maybe they will.

I think whether to prune or not is probably a moot point. The tree doesn't tolerate freezing weather, so you are probably going to have a tree that dies back to the ground with every harsh winter.

1716873564936.png

I don't think that instruction means don't prune adventitious suckers off the main rooting system. I think it means when you attempt to lion-tail the tree for esthetic purposes, you should expect a lot of new suckers.

I'd give that tree two years growth, and see how it goes. When the trunks start crowding each other, prune it back to one main stem. By then, it will have a more established root system and will also be somewhat trained for a more vertical growth habit without all the lateral branching.

I would speculate that this tree grows in thickets. When such a tree grows out in an open area without crowding, they spread horizontally more and are more inclined to grow the vertical suckers. Pruning trees of this growth habit just to make an open canopy is going to increase the number of adventitious suckers that erupt.

Perhaps you can make some cuttings and start your own thicket. In 15 years, cut down all the thicket except for the best tree and see how splendid a tree you have grown. Obviously, this is a rather contrarian way to avoid pruning, but it will work.

A less contrarian way: read up on how to prune them. This article discusses your exact problem, and pretty much repeats my advice.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/jacaranda/pruning-a-jacaranda-tree.htm

"You'll have to remove competing leaders every three years for the first 15 to 20 years."​

Another source says the same thing:
"After planting a Jacaranda sapling in an open spot with sandy soil and full sun, care for it by regular soaking, allowing the soil to dry out between waterings. Every three years the tree will need to be pruned, being careful to cut away any competing trunks at the base, so as to maintain a strong, single trunk. This should always be done in winter, when the tree is bare."

Latest posts

Back