Overthinking Joncutter g5800 bar choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon all and thank you in advance to all who take the time to read and respond.

I'm not a professional. Just a guy with some acreage and a house that due to life and such has started to get out of control. I'm finally in a position to start clearing some fields and harvesting the dead wood the gypsy moths have provided. I have, well all I guess are old, an old Husqvarna 365, Stihl 025, Efco 132s top handle, and an Echo 310 at another more suburban house.

I felt like I could use another transitional saw for lack of a better term that could live at either house and be of use so I decided to get a G5800. The saw is supposedly 3/8ths pitch .058 gauge. I've also read it is a K095 bar pattern. I was all set to order a bar when I looked at what Farmertec "recommends" and saw a 20" bar with 68 drive link chain combo. This is what threw me down the rabbit hole and I haven't hit the bottom yet.

Am I missing something on the pitch/drive link thing or is this a mistake on their part where the bar is actually 18" or the chain is actually 72 drive links? I know sometimes (oftentimes?) the stated CC's of a Chinese chainsaw are overstated so could a 20" bar really be 18". Or is there some special pitch drive link thing I'm unaware of

With all of that being said and after scouring previous posts for answers it doesn't seem I would be doing harm getting a 20" 72 drive link chain. However, from what I've read I wonder about going down to an 18 inch bar or maybe switching the clutch drum out to .325? I don't plan on doing any engine mods to start with but you people are a bad influence and I can't rule out what may happen in the future.

I know this is a topic that has been if not been beaten to death at least been put into a coma but I would appreciate both concrete answers to the questions that have them and thoughts and considerations on what to chose. I'd hate to buy the the wrong bar and chain and then have to buy yet ANOTHER chainsaw to fit that.

Thank you again.

Mistake almost certainly. File that under the "you get what you pay for" category for the usefulness of their information. The saw may be fine, but don't expect them to take the time to get anything right in the way of info. Who knows what it really is. Avoid their bars and chains and get this, only a few bucks more and I'd trust Oregon way more than the Farmertec stuff, plus it's the much more common .050 gauge. It's a K095 mount which would fit the JonCutter. https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-584818-Chainsaw-Guide-Chain/dp/B073XNS4DZ

Thank you for the quick reply. I just got the powerhead because I knew their bars were suspect. It was the drive link thing that messed with me. Out of all the searching I did I ever thought to just check Amazon.

Thank you for the quick reply. I just got the powerhead because I knew their bars were suspect. It was the drive link thing that messed with me. Out of all the searching I did I ever thought to just check Amazon.
No worries. I rotate between Ebay, Amazon, and manufacturer websites, always a crapshoot where I get the best prices and info. Amazon sometimes useful for seeing what people bought with something to match up things correctly, even if you don't buy from them. The JonCutter listing listed the Oregon bar/chain as something else people bought with it a lot. For good deals on cheap decent quality, lot of good stuff on the ArcherPlus site. Cheaper than their Amazon or Ebay prices usually, cause no tax and free shipping (at least everything over $25 has been free for me). Archer chains have served me well, and Tsumura bars are a quality Japanese bar and inexpensive in small sizes. All the Tecomec gear they sell in the way of breakers, spinners, and chain grinders are the same quality as the comparable Oregon.

The joncutter 5800 takes the same bar/chains as a husqvarna 50cc saw like a 550xp.
I run a oregon 15 inch .325 bar on mine, that's the common size locally for 50cc huskys, this way I can buy a chain at the local store if I need one.
A .325 rim sprocket is only a couple bucks to switch the saw to .325. Like the bar, it's the same as a husky rim sprocket and easy to get.

Latest posts

Back