Added 9 Saws In July - All Stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Burning Rom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The month of July was a busy one for me as far as acquiring saws goes. I added 11 Stihls..two of which are demolition saws. I definitely can't wait to get back home in November to run them. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I've added.

Stihl TS760 + A Load of Used And NOS Parts
Saw has good compression and spark. A full teardown and rebuild is in order though as I don't know what condition the crank bearings are in given the overall appearance of the saw. It did not come with a complete cutting arm assembly, so I picked up a NOS complete 16" kit for under $200 as well.
P1020444%20%5B1600x1200%5D.JPG

Link To An Album With More Pics

Stihl 056 Magnum
The second saw I picked up was on eBay (actually, all of the rest are eBay purchases). I believe it came from a member on here. It was listed as a Magnum II, however it doesn't have the 2nd muffler port cover or the extra chip flaps, and the nameplate is so worn that you can't see whether it's a II or not. Either way, it's in good shape. This is the only unboxing pic my dad sent of it.
IMG_9748.jpg

Stihl MS660 Magnum With 3/4 Wrap Handle
The third saw I picked up was this MS660 magnum. I posted about it here already: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=142353
IMG_9771.jpg

Stihl 048AVEQ
The fourth saw I picked up was this 048AVEQ. I believe this saw was also from a member on this site. I've wanted an 048 (an actual complete running one) for quite a while now, and was happy to find one in excellent shape. I have a couple brand new full wrap handles (with new full wrap clutch covers) for this saw, so I think one will be going on when I get back to WI and have some time.
IMG_0418.jpg

Stihl 011AVT
The fifth saw I picked up was this 011AVT. I posted about it's gas tank issues here: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=143405 It needed a few parts (throttle cable, buffer, buffer mount), but is in great shape overall. It helped that it spent most of it's life in a case. It didn't fade as bad as these normally do. I love this series of saws and can't wait to cut some firewood with it in the fall.
IMG_0421.jpg

Stihl TS50
The sixth saw I picked up was this TS50 concrete saw. It looked like it was in great shape for it's age, so I couldn't pass it up. There's not a single crack in the muffler cover, which was amazing. It's hard finding those covers in that kind of shape.The handle buffer was broken in transit, but I already have one ordered. The hardest thing will be finding a badge for the recoil cover. It also came with a few cutting blades.
IMG_0436.jpg

Stihl 051AVE
The seventh saw I picked up was this 051AVE. It is in rough shape. It has good compression but no spark. A few pieces are cracked, but I have located replacements already. It came with a 25" Oregon bar & chain as well. The seller forgot to include the bar nuts though.
IMG_0444.jpg

Stihl MS200
The eight saw I picked up was this Stihl MS200. I've wanted a rear-handle version for a while. It hasn't arrived yet so I don't have much in the way of pictures or description on it. Here is one of the listing pictures though.
!Byc8uiw!2k~$(KGrHqUOKkEEwRMH-EyRBMRy5OY)Zg~~_12.JPG

Stihl 012AVEQ
The final saw I picked up was yesterday. I've been looking for a decent 012 for some time now. This one looked to be in decent shape in the listing, and will see a lot of use this fall. I have a complete pistol grip assembly (unique to the 012s) that I plan on putting on this saw as soon as I can, replacing the rear handle. The saw hasn't arrived yet either. No pictures to post at this time.

It's safe to say that this ends my saw buying for a while, though it starts a new round of parts searches. It's the nature of the CAD beast though.

Those cut-off saws can be converted into a chainsaw pretty easy. Not sure if you knew or not. I missed a ts-760 on ebay by $8.:censored: I was looking foward to having my first 100cc+ saw. Nice collection BTW.:clap: Rep sent.

Those cut-off saws can be converted into a chainsaw pretty easy. Not sure if you knew or not. I missed a ts-760 on ebay by $8.:censored: I was looking foward to having my first 100cc+ saw. Nice collection BTW.:clap: Rep sent.

Thanks. And I did know that. I don't think I have any oil pumps laying around though. I'll keep them as demo saws anyway, as they're always handy to have around. I love the 1111 series of saws, which is probably why I have so many despite their weight. All I need now to complete my collection is an 076 Super....they always seem to show up when I'm out of money though :confused:

Thats a killer saw collaction. Looks like you have some fun ahead of you.

Thanks. Definitely a lot of fun ahead. Too bad I won't be able to have any of that fun until November. My dad assured me that he'd have plenty of fun with some of the saws in my absence though.

I hope got these at good prices...I can never find used Stihls at very cheap prices where I go.

Some of them were deals...some of them probably not as much. It's all in the eye of the beholder though. I usually only buy saws that are in good or better shape, so I expect to pay more than otherwise. Here's the breakdown of what was spent:
TS760 + Ton Of Parts: $275 Shipped
056 Mag: $285 Shipped
MS660: $340 Shipped
048AV: $528 Shipped
011AVT + Case: $70 Shipped
TS50: $157 Shipped
051AV: $94 Shipped
MS200: $312 Shipped
012AV: $107 Shipped

Nice haul. Have fun!
What's there in the way of carbs?

Poge

All of the parts were 1111 series parts (050/051/075/076/etc). Are you looking for a specific carb?

Thanks. And I did know that. I don't think I have any oil pumps laying around though. I'll keep them as demo saws anyway, as they're always handy to have around. I love the 1111 series of saws, which is probably why I have so many despite their weight. All I need now to complete my collection is an 076 Super....they always seem to show up when I'm out of money though :confused:

Thanks. Definitely a lot of fun ahead. Too bad I won't be able to have any of that fun until November. My dad assured me that he'd have plenty of fun with some of the saws in my absence though.

Some of them were deals...some of them probably not as much. It's all in the eye of the beholder though. I usually only buy saws that are in good or better shape, so I expect to pay more than otherwise. Here's the breakdown of what was spent:
TS760 + Ton Of Parts: $275 Shipped
056 Mag: $285 Shipped
MS660: $340 Shipped
048AV: $528 Shipped
011AVT + Case: $70 Shipped
TS50: $157 Shipped
051AV: $94 Shipped
MS200: $312 Shipped
012AV: $107 Shipped

All of the parts were 1111 series parts (050/051/075/076/etc). Are you looking for a specific carb?

Yep, Stihls are higher priced than other brands. Those weren't bad prices as Stihls go though. Most of the time when I'm flea marketing I don't carry the kind of money that would buy too many Stihls so I come home with a bunch of Homies, Macs, or Poulans. I kinda like the sign on a tv show I watched.."We buy junk and sell antiques." Kinda what I do.

Yep, Stihls are higher priced than other brands. Those weren't bad prices as Stihls go though. Most of the time when I'm flea marketing I don't carry the kind of money that would buy too many Stihls so I come home with a bunch of Homies, Macs, or Poulans. I kinda like the sign on a tv show I watched.."We buy junk and sell antiques." Kinda what I do.

They're definitely the highest price brand out there, but odds are they're not going to decrease in value over time provided they're maintained.

There's nothing wrong with Homies or Macs though. My first saw was a Mac, and I love the older ones...when they were still made of metal (or mostly metal...or at least SOME metal). There are some interesting Homies out there as well....and for cheap. I have a whole $110 stuck into the three that I have, and seem to be constantly in the market for an 1130g in decent shape. Everytime I find one I'm always a day late.

Whatever Tilly or Walbro that is *preferred* for a couple 028 rebuilds getting *super* top ends.

Not sure if the old WB carbs are actually still the way to go since I've yet to come up with an IPL for an 028WBAV Super with the larger top end - just the older WB (WoodBoss) IPL.

So far all I've seen referenced are the Tilly HU40-B and Walbro WT16-B. I presume others will work or are maybe even more desirable. Just haven't dug into it too far yet.

Poge

Back