BOW blade for newer STIHL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may have seen that 306 before... It may be the same one I let Modified Mark know about before I left Richmond in 2011. I will need to look for pictures on my computer at home.

At the risk of sounding stupid. What's the point in using a bow bar?

stihl 026 husky 300xp mac 610 efco 132s craftsman 170 mac 1635

well...for me, being 6'1" (probably 6'3" with my work boots) it makes it easy on the back not having to bend over to saw a log. Stand above the log with the bow and let the saw sink into the log from above...versus with a regular bar having to bend way over or squatting down (which is hard on my knees).
It got its purpose.

BUT....never use a bow saw for limbing, or really anything else other than cutting the trunk as it sits flat on the ground

Sprocket cover is going to be an issue .

Not necessarily, depends on the type and style of the bow. Most clearing bows have a narrow "V" so as to not require any modifications at all. Some large bows can be mounted so the "rise" is on the bottom and there is no interference with the clutch cover. Most covers can be notched, the Poulan 306/245 series have a brace that requires the cover shown above.

I have a very similar guide on my Stihl 034. It is stamped DS2100 050 994. I'm trying to find out where I can buy a new replacement for it. No matter what I do (sharpening chain, flipping bar over) it still bucks at a severe angle. I'm trying to order a new 84 tooth chain for it to see that helps. BTW don't use those bows pictured until you can find the bottom guards for them. 30 yrs ago I was using a Mac with a bow that didn't have the bottom guard and needed 42 stitches to put my knee back together. Still love using a bow to buck firewood! Saves my back a bunch. Anybody know where I can find a new bow?

Unfortunately, you cannot buy new ones anymore. There is a company called Chain Bar Repair (or something similar) that will rebuild your old bar for you and make it like new.

Just talked to a local dealer and asked them if they could "tune" my bar (I'm not sure if that is the correct terminology, maybe it is honing a bar). The dude said no, that it was ILLEGAL for them to work on it! Talked to another dealer on the other side of town and he said "sure, bring it in". What a difference! I'm just hoping that if they can tune it or hone it whatever you call it and I put on a new chain that it will cut straight again.

Back