Chicago industries kinetic splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently they are manufactured by a company called Shandong Machinery which either sells worldwide under a variety of names or supplies pretty much 90% of the kinetic splitters around. Read: all the cheap ones. :laugh:
I don't know how much you would be paying for it, but be wary sourcing parts for Chinese splitters may prove difficult and warranty is often a little more than a joke. In short, buy only if the price is right and you want to try it out and/or have a backup.

I've been very interested in these new kinetic splitters as there's less that can wrong than in hydraulic ones (and no fluid... that stuff is rabidly expensive) but all we have are electric and with electricity so damn expensive (not to mention I'd have to take it where I split) they are a no starter.

Apparently they are manufactured by a company called Shandong Machinery which either sells worldwide under a variety of names or supplies pretty much 90% of the kinetic splitters around. Read: all the cheap ones. :laugh:
I don't know how much you would be paying for it, but be wary sourcing parts for Chinese splitters may prove difficult and warranty is often a little more than a joke. In short, buy only if the price is right and you want to try it out and/or have a backup.

I've been very interested in these new kinetic splitters as there's less that can wrong than in hydraulic ones (and no fluid... that stuff is rabidly expensive) but all we have are electric and with electricity so damn expensive (not to mention I'd have to take it where I split) they are a no starter.

Super Split has been making THE kinetic splitter since 1978. With the electric motor, the cost to operate is in the neighborhood of $1.00 (US) per day. With a gas engine, you can expect to go the better part of a full day if not longer on a full tank. The machine runs at something just above idle. If you have purchase one model, electric or gas, it is easy to add the other later if you care to and it takes but a few minutes to swap. Very little in the way of maintenance either way.

Super Split has been making THE kinetic splitter since 1978. With the electric motor, the cost to operate is in the neighborhood of $1.00 (US) per day. With a gas engine, you can expect to go the better part of a full day if not longer on a full tank. The machine runs at something just above idle. If you have purchase one model, electric or gas, it is easy to add the other later if you care to and it takes but a few minutes to swap. Very little in the way of maintenance either way.

You aren't accustomed to our energy prices. :laugh:
The smallest electric kinetic splitter I've found uses a 1.5kW electric engine, meaning about €0.72/hour to run, may be more down the road as energy prices are adjusted (invariably upwards) every three months.
That 1.5kW engine drives a 5t splitter, which isn't exactly anything to write home about: it's the same as any hydraulic horizontal splitter you can overpay in a big box store and buy for peanuts on eBay.

And given shipping costs and custom duties I surely wouldn't even dream buying a splitter from outside the EU.

Latest posts

Back