Craftsman Chainsaw Model #358.350852 - Oil/Gas Mixture Ratio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whataboutbob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently picked up a Sears Craftsman Chainsaw Model #358.350852. Does anyone have a manual or perhaps more specifically know the gas-oil mixture ratio for this saw? Thanks for your time.

Not sure of the age of that specific model, but my old 98 Craftsman 42cc 18" saw had the mix ratio printed right on or near the fuel filler. It required 40:1.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I will. I've been running my 2009ish saw I got for free last year on Amsoil at 50:1 and she's happy as a peach.

I have two other craftsman I got for free that I need to work on, one a 1999 the other a 2006, and they will get the same amsoil treatment as well.

I can't tell you the proper mix, just thought I'd share that with you.

The biggest reason I'm using amsoil is I use it in my dirtbike and love it there, so I figured it'd be good for the saws as well.

Thanks for the help - turns out it is a 16:1 mix.

Turns out that mix ratio is determined by the OIL, not the ENGINE, except for some ancient plain-bearing fossils.

Since 50:1 oils became available (in the '80s?) that's the only mix I use. Couple saws and a brushcutter been doing fine on that for over 30 years, so it seems to work. :biggrin:

Extra oil makes for more deposits and more really nasty smoke. I'll pass.

Thanks for the help - turns out it is a 16:1 mix.
my father has that model number saw, do you still have it after all these years? i'm missing the chain bar and am trying to get a replacement. wondered if you might have some specs on the bar?

Really common bar being an A041 mount, saw is a rebadged Poulan S25DA, or called a Series 25.

Run a 32:1 fuel mix, as those saws use full complement crank rod big end bearings.
Good deal, the manual says it's a 14", 76 link, 1/4" pitch.
And 16:1 fuel mix, but I'll go with 32:1

oe
Rim drive, or are you still using the OEM Poulan 530048011 spur? ...or Herr B225 K9?

oem spur but found out the a041 bar is for 3/8 pitch, found the correct guide bar from stihl, just need to get the chain built.

You’re right. No current production, so I haven’t seen a 1/4” pitch sprocket nosed (or even a hard tip) A041 bar in ages.

What Stihl part number guide bar are you using to retrofit?

EDITED my previous post:
I looked at your saw's owners manual at this link
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/manual/5tu0lvluxg-000247/craftsman-358350982-gas-chainsaw-parts
and it does not look like my old model little Green Poulans S25DA and S25CVA's.

Yours is probably a later model type Poulan top handle and appears to be one of the better built ones with needle bearings, but parts for my S25's are different.
You can dig around and find a exact Craftsman to Poulan cross reference model number index and someone may chime in and post such.

If you have a saw that is the equal to a Poulan S25 type, those are really a very good strong saws and worth extra effort in repairing them. You can find lots of parts within reason on flea bay WITH CAREFUL SHOPPING. I just happened to stumble onto them couple years ago and re-built two. They have replaced my Homies as go to trim saws. They seem to want a full choke until you get a promise and then maybe a slight choke until they get warmed up for a run. Will pull a 16 inch bar easily when all is correct.

It's quite common for the Fuel hose to need replacing (you can watch video on You tube for such, but be aware couple different routings. I use tygon tubing with good results.
Also the gas cap vent duckbill is usually rotten and can be CAREFULLY replaced using a Homelite duckbill. You also need to inspect the little sponge and regular air filters around the carb area. If they are rotten or gone the engine WILL TAKE IN DIRT/DUST.
I have some old saws that are spec'ed at 16:1 and those specs were when 30W non-detergent motor oil was also recommended. Lots of mosquito smoke is only good thing about 16:1 mix now-days.

With modern mix 2 cycle oils you can use 50:1. Those saws use bearings instead of bushing. .

Latest posts

Back