Depth Gauge/Raker grinding fixture ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've got a great chain grinder that my Grandfather got when he started selling saws in the late 40's.

MVC-001S_16.JPG

MVC-002S_18.JPG

MVC-003S_11.JPG

I'm guessing he got in sometime in the 50's and it still works great on most any chain as it is so adjustable.

I want to make a a nice depth gauge or raker fixture to make them all exactly the same and to be able to do it quickly. For years we've used the old standby lay on gauges and have gone through numerous ones as they wear.

MVC-004S_9.JPG

MVC-005S_6.JPG

I have a surface grinder with a digital readout. I can easily hold .0002 tolerance which is way overkill for this but nice to have the option. :) My question is is there a good reference on the best configuration for a raker? I've always just tried to get them flat but is there any advantage to a slight rake? Portion Radii on the lead edge,? etc?

Would like to have all the needs down before I start to make it. Have some ideas for a nice adjustable snap down holder and adjustments but open to ideas. I'll do a build thread if that intersts anyone.

Again, I know this is overkill for most but I'm tired of filing and guessing a lot of the time. No need when I have the tool that would make this a lot easier. Yeah, I'm getting old and lazy (er)!

Latest posts

Back