Echo 702VL project.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got this Echo 702VL from a member here on the trading post. It's pretty clean and dosen't need just a whole lot of parts or work to be perfect. I'll be documenting my progress of cleaning and refurbing it here over the next couple of weeks. Here are some pics to get us started, notice the perfect cylinder and piston, nothing on the saw shows that it was ever used much at all. I'll be fitting this one with a 24" b&c combo when it is done.

Anyone have any stories about running these back in the day?

Right side
2790982781_54b0227050_o.jpg

Left side
2791831912_a25fab1dba_o.jpg

Piston
2791832016_473b916052_b.jpg

Cylinder
2791831780_bc2225c8e3_o.jpg

Great saws, lots of grunt to em, I like the balance they have with about a 20" bar.

But sadly, you wont hear much good about any saw on this site unless it is made in Germany or Sweden. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if a few members instructed you to save yourself some time and just sell it for scrap towards a new Stihl.

Personally, I think the saw you have will be near show condition with a little cleaning and some TLC, and be around for decades and decades to come.

GO ECHO!:clap:

Nice looking saw. It should clean up to near new looking with what you have to start with there. I like that vintage of the Echo saws. Although, I really have not met many saws I don't like, just some of their owners! Those older Echos seem to be very durable, tank tough and run forever. I only have one to judge by, a CST-610EVL and I imagine yours is built the same way. However, I've run others that seem to follow suit.

Nice saw Brian. I got a CS750 that I enjoy from time to time.

If the 24" isnt really needed I think I would stay with the 20" on the 702. The 24" seems just about right for the 750.

There really nice running ole saws, not super fast, but smooth and reliable.

I have a box with most of a CS602 left in it if you need anything. Most of the parts from this series interchange.

Brian,

I'm coming to the conclusion that you like orange and black saws.
That Echo sure is in better shape than "Big Orange" was when you started on him.
Looking forward to seeing the refurb.
Mike

I will jump on the orange bandwagon :) . Those were great saws and we sold a lot of them. The only thing to watch for would be soft fuel lines other than that run it. I ran a 20" bar on mine but i did have a 24" for those big swamp willow trees...Bob

I gave "big orange II" the simple green treatment today. Here are some pics.

2792927405_8f46c67789_o.jpg

2792927269_f7e4e97e3c_o.jpg

I bought a gallon of Evapo Rust on reccomendations from members here. I used it to clean up the muffler cover. It works as advertised but the muffler was so oily from well, oil being sprayed around it that it took a lot of degreasing effort before I could try it. I was going to leave the muffler a natural steel color but it is so pitted I think I'll paint it BBQ grill black.

Here is a before and after shot.
2792927527_c608eeba5e_o.jpg

I'm going to defuel/deoil it tonight and begin dissassembling the fuel and oil system next week so I can start rounding up parts.

On a CS-802 I cleaned up last year, I knew Id had some bad luck with "BBQ PAINT" so I tried something different.

I wire wheeled that big ol muffler, and hit it with a coat of Dupli-color Acrylic Laquer, satin-black.

It left a uniform finish. I let it cure a few days, and then cranked it, and let it idle for a minute. Then shut it down, let it cool/cure some more. Then started it again, let it idle a few more minutes, then let it cool/cure again.

After a few of these, the paint is HARD, and even after splitting a few 18" oak logs lengthwise with the 28" bar buried..no bubbles.

BBQ paint seems to want to flake off as soon as it gets hot...I put some on one of my kart pipes, and after 5 minutes the paint has burnt off halfway down the pipe...looked like hell.:censored:

I use rustoleum high temp black on all the mufflers that I redo.

I use the same paint with great results. I've even used their high temp silver to re-do mufflers that were originally plated, with good results.

I use the same paint with great results. I've even used their high temp silver to re-do mufflers that were originally plated, with good results.

Good advice, I think I will do that (silver) to preserve the plated look of this one.

Thanks!

Good advice, I think I will do that (silver) to preserve the plated look of this one.

Thanks!

Cool, glad I could help. The silver may be a little difficult to find but, It's out there.

I bought a gallon of Evapo Rust on reccomendations from members here. I used it to clean up the muffler cover. It works as advertised but the muffler was so oily from well, oil being sprayed around it that it took a lot of degreasing effort before I could try it. I was going to leave the muffler a natural steel color but it is so pitted I think I'll paint it BBQ grill black.

Here is a before and after shot.
2792927527_c608eeba5e_o.jpg

I love Evapo-rust.... I put an entire 6 foot planer table pair face down in a trough I made with black plastic and some scrap wood... Works great...

Drop ylur muffler in 4:1 diluted purple cleaner for a few hours.. That will remove any grease prior to evapo-rust treatment.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Bake it as hot as you can (usually 500F) in your oven for a couple do hours (cover it so it doesn't get any direct radient heating. That will cure the paint and make it good for 1200F ... You have to do it within a specified time of painting though.

Last edited:

I just sold a John Deere 60 V and have 2 others + an echo 702 for parts and or repair. Far as I know or think I know JD 60V = echo 602 and JD 70V = echo 702. 60 cc on former 2 , 70 cc latter 2 and pretty much or all parts interchange between all of them.
Freind of mines dad died leaving a JD 70 V behind and it sat about 2 years in his workshop. My freind pulled it out and fired it right up on the old gas. I cut with them years ago and from what I remember that saw and an 660 echo both smoked my homelite C-52. The 60V I just sold I cut about 2 to 3 tanks of gas through it and have to say it felt very heavy until I actually started using it and then it didnt feel near as heavy. Not much for rpms compared to newer stuff but it pulled the 20" solid nose bar fine. I really like the auto matic chain oilers adjustment's location on top and easy to adjust while working + the manual pump to hit for the now and then when you get in a long dry cut which can use a bit more oil. I would think the 24" on the 70cc model would pull fine.

Back