Gehl Articulating Loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have Bobcat mt-52 miniskid which I'm pretty happy with. But all summer I've been so close to purchasing the Gehl 140 articulating loader. I have been down state twice over the last month looking at one. I really like them. My only complaint with what I have is slow speed and it does tear up lawns when I have anyone other than myself using it. Kind of like my help cutting my ropes all the time. With a load, all that weight is on the front of the tracks; and its only 6-8 inches wide.
What do you guys think about what is being said about these Gehls? I just seen a google video where a guy tipped one over on its side. I think he had jsut gotten it and he looked sick. I know you have to be smarter then the machine, but they do seem to sit up high and they are narrow.
Arborpro, I thought you just bought your Boxer and I see it for sale. Can I ask why? You didn't have it long, did you? I enjoy your posts, think you and I look at things similairly, so I was just wondering.

I have Bobcat mt-52 miniskid which I'm pretty happy with. But all summer I've been so close to purchasing the Gehl 140 articulating loader. I have been down state twice over the last month looking at one. I really like them. My only complaint with what I have is slow speed and it does tear up lawns when I have anyone other than myself using it. Kind of like my help cutting my ropes all the time. With a load, all that weight is on the front of the tracks; and its only 6-8 inches wide.
What do you guys think about what is being said about these Gehls? I just seen a google video where a guy tipped one over on its side. I think he had jsut gotten it and he looked sick. I know you have to be smarter then the machine, but they do seem to sit up high and they are narrow.
Arborpro, I thought you just bought your Boxer and I see it for sale. Can I ask why? You didn't have it long, did you? I enjoy your posts, think you and I look at things similairly, so I was just wondering.

Actually, I'm getting more and more used to the Boxer all the time - don't know if I really want to sell it now to be honest. A couple reasons for listing it - 1) I think I prefer to walk behind the machine like I did with my bobcat mt-50. I've recently tried out the vermeer and ditch witch minis and don't really like their ride-on platforms either. Just a personal preference thing. 2) the machine is longer than I thought it would be with the custom grapple I had built for it. It will fit on my new chip truck setup but not as well as I had intended. I have to disconnect the grapple and carry it on the front of the truck on a carry rack. I'd prefer to go back to the smaller setup I had so I can load the mini with the grapple attached on the truck.

Like I said, I'm not so sure now that I want to sell it. It really is amazing with the new grapple I had built. I wish bobcat had a bigger model than the mt-55 that was still only 36" wide.

Boxer

I do a lot of trees down around lakes, in front of houses, where the chipper, road or driveway seem to be so far away. I just get so impatient sometimes with how slow the MT-52 is. It's crazy I know, but sometimes I wish I could run behind the thing to speed things up.
3.5 mph just seems to grind me; I know it beats dragging and hauling the stuff by hand, but I'm just looking to be more efficient with cleanup.

I do a lot of trees down around lakes, in front of houses, where the chipper, road or driveway seem to be so far away. I just get so impatient sometimes with how slow the MT-52 is. It's crazy I know, but sometimes I wish I could run behind the thing to speed things up.
3.5 mph just seems to grind me; I know it beats dragging and hauling the stuff by hand, but I'm just looking to be more efficient with cleanup.

My boxer is 4.3mph forward and reverse. Very snappy.

I have the older Gehl ALDX articulating loader. I like using it a lot more than my mini skid. It is a lot faster, (7mph) and it does not tear up lawns. It can also lift 700 lbs. 6 ft. high, which is quite a bit more than most mini skids. The only drawback is than it is 40 inches wide and will not fit through the stupid 36 inch gate.

I also have not even come close to turning it over. All you need to do is be careful and know where your load is.

Is that unit your talking about called an 'Avantage'? Years ago I almost bought one. I believe it had a 20 hp Kubota diesel in it. Do you have a grapple on it? I beleive they still make this if this is what its called.

arborpro,
It doesn't seem like much, but I bet 4.3 compared to my 3.5 mph would make a noticeable difference. I feel the urge to want to push mine just because it's so slow. I will admit, I love what it does. Just as a sidenote, I appreciate your posts.

I have a Power Trac PT1460 and I think that it is an excellent loader. Probably a lot cheaper than a Gehl, especially a new Gehl.

002-13.jpg

004-14.jpg

Is that unit your talking about called an 'Avantage'? Years ago I almost bought one. I believe it had a 20 hp Kubota diesel in it. Do you have a grapple on it? I beleive they still make this if this is what its called.

My Gehl is the Advantage, AL20DX. Here is a video of it in action. Check out the speed of the machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEwxnidQv5E

Latest posts

Back