More Pignut Hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
I haven't been sharing like I should, after all....I think some of y'all got me into the hobby anyway! So while I was waiting on some oven baked pork chops and the 'taters to cook, I thought I'd grab the camera and toss this piece onto the mill! Don't get to excited, I didn't have but 4 passes with the mill before I was getting told to cean up for dinner, but what I did see was a few nice pieces to start this one out right!!!

Pignut Hickory!

Okay, I might have bitten off more then I could chew on? But where there is a will, there is a way!

Much better! Just rotate the 2900lb girl on her side(ummm, that didn't sound quite the way it should....but y'all know what I mean)

Ah, there'll be some nice slabs here. The secret to getting this type of grain structure is laziness! That's right, let this girl sit on the ground for almost 1-1/2years!

And finally some close-up's of the nasty!

Yes, I had to do a little whittling with the little MS250 18" bar to get past a few of the wider spots in the log. So most of these pieces are max'd out at 18-ish inches across. I'll roll this on again to get the rest of the cuts as 'book matched sets'.....make for some nice table tops!!!

What y'all think.....about $2.75board foot sound reasonable?

Scott (it's a hobby, not a job) B

You'd rather eat than saw? :msp_ohmy: Well, to each his own. Looks like some potentially nice wood. Hickory is tricky, since it decays so quickly, but it looks like a year and a half worked well for that piece. Get it stickered and air drying as soon as possible. If you sell it green off the mill and it warps after the customer buys it, you might be asked to refund the money-- I'd air dry first, then charge a little more (better yet plane it too, and charge a lot more). Hope you're saving the slabs for smoking the next batch of pork chops! Just my 2c. Keep sawin!

I like eating sort of regular like, and the 'one-that-must-be-obeyed' likes it when I use my 'listen skills' too!

Scott (sure makes life easier when you mind what your told) B

Latest posts

Back