My first Homelite rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pereynol

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I have poked around on this forum a bit over the last few years, and finally decided to do my own chainsaw rebuild. My grandpa gave me his old Homelite Super EZ Auto a few years ago, and I finally went through it this summer. Grandpa and I were using the saw back in 1995 cutting some Autumn Olive brush, and the recoil spring turned loose. It went on the shelf that day, and we just didn't use it anymore. He was moving a few years back, and gave it to me. I was curious so I put in a new recoil spring, gassed it up, and it ran. Hadn't been started in about 14 years at that point, but ran half decent. It wouldn't idle and was hard to start but ran great in the cut. Well, I forgot about it for a few more years, and finally tore it down this summer. I did more work than needed to be done, but it was fun, and I wanted it to run good for another 40 years. I put in new bearings, seals, piston, and rebuilt the carb.

The saw runs great now, and seems very aggressive for a 2.5 cube saw. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of this machine, and the construction was very interesting. I would say the hardest part is just getting the carb out of the air box. Anyway, I have a lot of memories of tagging along in the woods as a kid while grandpa ran this saw. He cut a lot of firewood and cleared a lot of brush with this thing. He took down several oaks over the years that were some 30 inches in diameter with it as well. When his more modern saw wouldn't start, he always counted on the old Homelite. I decided not to paint the saw as I think it looks best as a working saw.

Best,

Peter

199677d1316443045-imag0805-jpg

199678d1316443049-imag0806-jpg

199679d1316443050-imag0809-jpg

199680d1316443052-imag0818-jpg

199681d1316443054-imag0819-jpg

Last edited:
Nice post!!!! I have a Super EZ too, but mine doesn't have as good a story to go with it. I bought mine off Ebay for $50. I then added the full wrap handlebar to it for another $30.

Great little saws!!!

006-7.jpg

Nice post!!!! I have a Super EZ too, but mine doesn't have as good a story to go with it. I bought mine off Ebay for $50. I then added the full wrap handlebar to it for another $30.

Great little saws!!!

006-7.jpg

that would be a nice little saw to take up in a tree, just take off the tip guard.

that would be a nice little saw to take up in a tree, just take off the tip guard.

They're great saws for that Ted. Pretty 'hot' as is. They'll pull a 16" bar with .375 (they weren't sold with LP) chain very well for a 41cc saw, and will even handle 18"-20" if you're not expecting too much of it. I'm going to run one with a 16" sprocket tip and .325 chain, and then with .325 on an 18" ST to see how they do compared to a 16" .375 ST. Got all three setups for these saws, and have an Oregon rim-drive drum so switching will be easy.

100_3692.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back