Stihl MS211

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the 211 is a good replacement for the 250 so I'm sure the 251 will up the ante. Stihl has the best looking saws anyway.

I just hate the looks of the right side of their plastic handlebars, and the generally soft-looking plastic - but that is just an opinion. ;)

I like my 211. I use it for trail clearing and sawing when up in a tree on a ladder. It runs just fine. I frog around cutting 16" dead ash slices with it. The 211 gets through without bogging down but the Stihl yellow chain must be kept very sharp. The 211 becomes more powerful with use.

Note that for the same money, $299, you can get a 250. It will have more power but also more vibration and weight. I wore out a 250, my first saw. It was the best saw for the money at time and may still be.

I like my 211. I use it for trail clearing and sawing when up in a tree on a ladder. It runs just fine. I frog around cutting 16" dead ash slices with it. The 211 gets through without bogging down but the Stihl yellow chain must be kept very sharp. The 211 becomes more powerful with use.

Note that for the same money, $299, you can get a 250. It will have more power but also more vibration and weight. I wore out a 250, my first saw. It was the best saw for the money at time and may still be.

Maybe the best Stihl for the money, but surely not the best saw for the money! ;)

A 290 Farm Boss is a lot of saw for the money too, $359, if you like getting weight training in the woods.

If I had only one saw it would be a 361. If I was poor that one saw would be a 290.

If I had only two, they would be a 361 and a 346XP.

If I was poor I would keep the 290 and steal a 346XP.

hi ya all!

hi so how does this saw blow a 210 or an 021 out of the water? its the same displacement right?35 cc?? i have an 021 that i have and runs great its stock... when the chain is sharp it would out cut an 025 i had... i got rid of the 025 because my lil 021 one seemed to just out cut it 025 had 18 inch bar 021 16 but its a runner for sure ive been real happy with it for years!!!!besides emissions can ya all tell me whats different? to bad ya cant try one before ya buy LOL!!!!

ive got the 181, great little saw. Use it for trail clearing and cuttin some pretty big elm trees 16"+. Its wearing wide tip picco bar and picco duro carbide chain and the yellow chain. Ran 10+ tanks of gas through it so far.

I bought a 211 in June of 2009, it is the only Stihl saw that I wish
I had never bought. Mine just don't have the power it should, my
180 cuts just a little faster than the 211. I did put a bigger carb
on 180 and I opened muffler on both saws. I didn't like it when
I saw the oil line on 211. It's oil hose is exposed on the out side
under the bottom of the saw. Mine will leak all the bar oil out of the
saw if left setting a while. As far as I can tell it's leaking where
the oil hose is coming out of the oil tank. It does have less vibs
than MS180 and my rear handle MS200. But vibs don't bother me
unless am running something like an old 041, maybe I just got a bad MS211.

TT

Mine cuts very well for 35cc's but I have the same oil leak, same place that you do. It is aggravating.

Does anyone have any experience with the Stihl MS211 chainsaw? I'm just a homeowner looking to get a chainsaw for some light work around the house. Saw this at the dealer and liked the look and feel of it. Wanted to get some feedback before purchasing.
I am a homeowner who owns an MS211C that is less than 3 cutting seasons old. I can say that if you don't make any real demands of the saw, use it like you say, i.e. light, and I do mean light work, like cleaning up fallen limbs, cutting really small trees, etc. it should serve you well. I bought mine from a local dealer, with the full understanding that I would be cutting firewood for myself and my family to burn in our fireplace. No commercial cutting at all. Bottom line, the saw has cut less than 5 cords of firewood in its 3 year old life, and I have been told by a certified Stihl mechanic, who couldn't get the saw to start either, that it is used up, only has 40 lbs of compression when it should have 110 or so. I bought the 6 pack of oil with it, and have only run 3 bottles mixed with straight gas ( never ethanol) through it. The saw just doesn't have that many hours on it. So yea, if you want it for an occasional toy to cut up little sticks with , it should work well for you. If you burn firewood like I do, get something else, it just wont stand up to regular cutting.

Latest posts

Back