Cleaning Up Corroded Tanks? - New To Me 011AVT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Burning Rom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Earlier this month I picked up an 011AVT in great shape on eBay. Guy said he hadn't run it in a while and couldn't get it started...so therefore it was good for parts. Well, like most, I know a good carb cleaning is all it needed. So I picked it up for $75 shipped (with a case), and had it sent to my parents house in WI (still no space or a parts washer here in CT). My dad tore it down (pics below) and he noticed that the tanks were corroded on the inside (pic below). Just wondering if anyone has any good methods (or ideas) on fixing them without splitting the crankcase and cleaning them up by hand. I've done it before on one of my old 1-51's, but the gas tank was an easy split on that saw.

attachment.php

NOTE: The stop switch isn't broken, it just slipped out of the casing.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

^ that should work. Or on a brass tumbler. Or just shake it like a martini. after that just change fuel filter ofen for the first while

Try the above, but if you have to split the case, those saws are fairly easy to do and do not require special tools to do it. You will have to replace the case gasket, though.

Try the above, but if you have to split the case, those saws are fairly easy to do and do not require special tools to do it. You will have to replace the case gasket, though.

I've had 011's split before. My dad has had a couple for the last 30 or so years that he's been using for cutting firewood.

You can try a handful of steel BB's, odd nuts and small bolts/hardware that is clean. Mixed into a little thinner or mix and shaken inside the tank. Should clean it up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to give it a try.

One vote for plastic tanks!

My vote is actually for alloy tanks :) They don't fade out. They're harder to crack...and easier to fix when they do. All you have to do is take care of them. The previous owner obviously did not take care of this one.

On another subject, does anyone have a suggestion for sealing it for protection once it's cleaned up?

I've had 011's split before. My dad has had a couple for the last 30 or so years that he's been using for cutting firewood.

My vote is actually for alloy tanks :) They don't fade out. They're harder to crack...and easier to fix when they do. All you have to do is take care of them. The previous owner obviously did not take care of this one.

On another subject, does anyone have a suggestion for sealing it for protection once it's cleaned up?

The kind of plastic tanks I like are like the ones on the Poulan 2000 series and Homelite small saws like the Super 2. If they go bad, you can just pop them out and clean or replace them. Kinda easy.

you can get fuel tank liners put in at good rad shops. Or, you can buy the stuff and do it yourself. Once the inside is clean and dry (as inimmaculate) you just pour in the sauce and swirl around until it touches all sides then pour excess back out and save for next job to do. The key is prep work. We used to do fuel tanks only after soaking overnight in a hot caustic tank, then flushing and drying with a torch to drive out any moisture. The prep on a split saw would be much easier; you would just bead blast inside or scrub with sandpaper or other abrasive then clean very well with acetone/xylen/laquer thinner etc. put case together with gasket and do the coating.

Or, just keep it full of fuel and oil. no air no corrosion

:agree2: On the bb's & carb cleaner.

Can't believe no one's said anything about the chain, being on backwards.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back