New to the chainsaw world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys...I'm fairly new to the chainsaw thing and was hoping to get some advise. I recently purchased 6.5 acres and need a saw to prepare the ground for building a home. The property has mostly smaller trees which I plan to remove, most of the larger trees will be saved. I will also probably cut an occasional load of firewood as well as use the saw for cleaning up trails, fallen trees, etc. I don't want to be undersawed and regret my decision on a saw purchase. What brand and size/model (bar, hp, cc, etc.) would you guys recommend? I've always been told Stihl is the best followed by Husqvarna??? What are your opinions on the Stihl MS250?

Thanks....

Dolmar Red or Makita Blue

Check out Dolmar saws. Good products for reasonable prices. German built and engineered. For a light saw, 8 lbs, PS-401, $249.00 at Amick's Superstore (sponsor). You might find a blue Makita badged Dolmar saw cheaper. DCS 540 or 510 either Dolmar red or Makita blue. Dolmar Screaming 4 hp Chainsaw the PS-5100s is under $400.00, only in Dolmar red.
The 401 is appealing, low price, German quality, light weight and good power for size. I need to get me one!

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_Chainsaws_s/163.htm

There is a recent thread discussing this very matter... 250/270/280 - all good saws... with the 280 very good.

My 2c: and particularly as you are new to the chainsaw world - don't mail order... buy from a local supporting dealer... and that's NOT a box store. Brand is less important.

Last edited:
There is local Dolmar dealers in Ohio. If you need help, just shoot your zip and I will hit the dealer locater for you. Since it sounds you may need dealer support for whatever you buy, whether Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, Echo, Solo, Shiny, .

Another L.E., Welcome to the site too.

Last edited:
Please tell me this isnt the Chase that put on a set of fresh butter bars at work on his collars?

There is a recent thread discussing this very matter... 250/270/280 - all good saws... with the 280 very good.

My 2c: and particularly as you are new to the chainsaw world - don't mail order... buy from a local supporting dealer... and that's NOT a box store. Brand is less important.

Just in case you havent figured it out a box store is like Home Depot or Lowes,,,, They do not service what they sell,,, the difference in price savings that you get @ a box store vs a servicing dealer will soon be forgotten as soon as you need it serviced,,,, There are some dealers who just dont work on boxstore/internet bought stuff than those that do.... the Lakeside53's scoop is good stuff!!! we work on them after our patrons stuff is fixed!!!!!

Welcome to AS and since you specifically asked about an MS250,, it is a stout little saw rated to pull an 18" bar @ 3 HP,,, the 280 is a step up in feel and a bit over .5 HP in power,,, and will pull a 20" bar

And if you have a local servicing Husky dealer or Dolmar or jred they are all good saws and if yer looking in the 45-50 cc range there are a bunch of em to pick from!!!!!

Welcome to AS and thank you for your service to our country and local communities,,,

get ready cause the locals here are gonna throw more get this brand model get that one,,, at ya than you can shake a stick @...in fact i think Elmore already drilled ya,,,,, Do like Lake said and find a servicing dealer and go talk to him or a couple of them and see what they got for ya....

Keep us posted,,,,

River

Last edited:
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.............................................................................................................................................................................

Just get an ms880 with a 16" bar, then you don't have to worry about what comes up in the future.

There are only three threads going about this right now.

See,,, theres another one!!!!

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.............................................................................................................................................................................

Just get an ms880 with a 16" bar, then you don't have to worry about what comes up in the future.

There are only three threads going about this right now.

But he's way cool!!!!!! :chainsawguy:

But he's way cool!!!!!! :chainsawguy:

OK, OK, that was unfair, I admit it.

FIND A DEALER, FIND A DEALER, FIND A DEALER!!!! Then, FIND A DEALER YOU LIKE!!!!
Be it Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Echo, whatever. You are a newbie and won't know what is wrong/be able to fix it, that makes it that much more important. If you don't feel good with the people you are dealing with, find new people!!! This is WAY more important than the brand of saw will ever be!!!!
So, find a dealer you like, look at saws, then come back and ask us what we like from the choices you have. Fair enough?

Not those they are sold at box stores.

They are also sold at dealers nationwide.

Echo hasnt dropped their quality a bit to offer the product at Home Depot's.

The CS-440 you buy in a box at Home Depot is the same one you will get at a Dealer. Simply unbox, install the bar/chain, add oil/gas and a bar oil and away you go.

Lets not forget the 5 year Consumer warranty that ECHO is offering on all its equipment..They stand behind their products, so much so that they will replace defective non-consumable parts (bars/chains/clutches/air filters etc..) for 5 years.

Echo parts are also priced fairly, unlike Stihl, who seems to think their parts (which do break by the way) are gold plated with Diamond insets..

ECHO...FTW!

Just in case you havent figured it out a box store is like Home Depot or Lowes,,,, They do not service what they sell,,, the difference in price savings that you get @ a box store vs a servicing dealer will soon be forgotten as soon as you need it serviced,,,, There are some dealers who just dont work on boxstore/internet bought stuff than those that do.... the Lakeside53's scoop is good stuff!!! we work on them after our patrons stuff is fixed!!!!!

Welcome to AS and since you specifically asked about an MS250,, it is a stout little saw rated to pull an 18" bar @ 3 HP,,, the 280 is a step up in feel and a bit over .5 HP in power,,, and will pull a 20" bar

And if you have a local servicing Husky dealer or Dolmar or jred they are all good saws and if yer looking in the 45-50 cc range there are a bunch of em to pick from!!!!!

Welcome to AS and thank you for your service to our country and local communities,,,

get ready cause the locals here are gonna throw more get this brand model get that one,,, at ya than you can shake a stick @...in fact i think Elmore already drilled ya,,,,, Do like Lake said and find a servicing dealer and go talk to him or a couple of them and see what they got for ya....

Keep us posted,,,,

River

Yep... and to say it again...check out those dealers.. no matter the brand... The Dolmar dealers you find out here with the dealer locator might have one saw on the shelf, and it's been sitting there for months. Spares - don't ask. Echo isn't much better... big displays at the local ACE Hardware and HD, but no servicing. Some of the rental companies with the big Stihl signs aren't any better.

Did anybody already mention that you should find a dealer you like and buy your saw there? :)

Seriously, while you can get great advice here, a good dealer can be a whole heckofa lot of help to someone just starting out with a saw. As you gain experience, you will also appreciate the fact he's got a good supply of parts and supplies as well.

I don't have any experience with a 250, but if Lake says its a good saw then it must be a good saw. Five wooded acres is a lot of trees, especially if you plan to do more than just flop 'em with the saw. Although you said you don't plan to cut any of the big ones, I would bet as you start to landscape the place there will be some larger trees that you decide will need to go. Buy as much saw as will fit your budget, within reason, and you'll be happy.

The 270 / 280 saws have more of a pro style anti vibe feature and a mag case. I have a 270 and like it a lot, but I do sometimes wonder why I did not spend the extra $30 for more power at the same weight. (Don't tell SawTroll I admitted that. :) )

Finally, spend the extra $$$ on PPE. Chaps and a hardhat will keep you safer while you are learning to use the saw. Steel toe boots and gloves are essential. The total dollars spent will be less than one visit to the ER. Practice good felling techniques, and be aware you can get hurt dealing with a tree on the ground as well. Think about the forces on the limbs before you start cutting them, watch out for springpoles as well.

Let us know what you decide to buy.

I agree, except that I would stay away from the 250 if I could, the Husky 350 is a much better option at that price point.......:biggrinbounce2:

Man I sure appreciate all of the advise guys. I've been moving the last few days so the computer was boxed and I was having withdraws from this site already...alot of helpful people. I think I have gotten caught in the hype of the name thing that goes with STIHL. I do like the look and feel of their saws but I wasn't aware that there are so many other saw manufacturers available. I wish a little saw fairy would come down and say "For $350 buy this saw, it is the best saw for the money". :D

Man I sure appreciate all of the advise guys. I've been moving the last few days so the computer was boxed and I was having withdraws from this site already...alot of helpful people. I think I have gotten caught in the hype of the name thing that goes with STIHL. I do like the look and feel of their saws but I wasn't aware that there are so many other saw manufacturers available. I wish a little saw fairy would come down and say "For $350 buy this saw, it is the best saw for the money". :D

I think the reality of it is none of the manufacturers have any price advantage over the others where $350 will buy significantly more saw from one vs. another. What is 'best' anyway, that answer will differ from one person to another. A lot of people here think Dolmar provides a bit more saw for the dollar, but they're pretty lousy when it comes to their dealership network. Hell, where I live I can find several Ferrari dealerships within an hour drive, but can't find a Dolmar dealer.

In that price range the Stihls spec out a little heavier, with a few tenths more HP than the Huskys. I doubt the differences aren't that important anyway. If you internet order a Husky, you can get a bit more saw for the dollar from one of the discounters, and the 353 would probably be a good choice.

If you're going to have a million questions, and don't like tinkering with mechanical stuff, then getting to know your local dealer and buying from them might be worth the few extra $$ over an anonymous internet purchase.

Probably a more important question to ask yourself would be do I need a $500 saw instead of a $350 one? If you're sure you really only need a $350 saw, then I wouldn't worry so much about which brand you end up buying.

Back