what's a minty Stihl 07-S worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God of ArboristSite
Reaction score
what's a minty Stihl 07-S worth?

I know the history of this saw all the way back to dealer it was originally purchased from. this 07-S barely has any runtime. Bar is not original. GB Pro-top bars didn't exist yet.

have not taken compression yet, but it feels strong. I'm guessing 160 psi.

clutch cover & drive tooth still has original Stihl paint on it. foam on handlebar is still soft. does anyone know of a more pristine example?

it's still got a heavy layer of dust. I'll be posting cleaned pictures a bit later.

This saw feels amazingly light for it's age and large bar mounted.

DSC01552.JPG

DSC01553.JPG

DSC01555.JPG

DSC01558.JPG

Last edited:
hmmm... 07-S must be a collectible...

but what's it really worth?

Last edited:
Something like that is a collectors piece. I can't imagine someone buying that for daily duty as the new saws are much lighter and most likely more efficient. Having said that, it is worth what someone who has the desire to add it to their collection is willing to pay.

Very nice saw! Brad has a restored one on this site, if he see's this post he will most likely post pictures. He also might have a better idea of what they are worth.

:)

Finally, another 07S with a grey bar cover! Everyone though mine was the wrong color, but it was original paint when I got it. Here's the gallery of pics where I rebuilt mine. LINK. The one you see on eBay for $800 isn't worth that much and the seller knows it. He actually wants to keep it and is simply wanting to see what kind of interest there is in these. The $200-$300 guess sounds farely accurate, but I really don't know. You simply don't see these for sale. I know you won't be seeing mine on the market:) Congrats on a neat old saw. I'd love to finish mine off with a old bar with the stamped logo in it.

BTW, I would not repaint your saw. That thing will clean up nicely and still be original.

Last edited:
in awe as I take 07-S apart... almost don't want to disturb this saw by putting gas in.
now this in an original unrestored saw!

stihl 07s5.JPG

stihl 07s6.JPG

stihl 07s7.JPG

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback... there's zero chance of me selling this for $300. thinking of taking the stamped logo bar off 08-S and putting it on 07-S. after refinishing with the proper color hopefully.

no way this original saw is getting repainted. thinking of not putting gas in and leaving it undisturbed, except for taking bar off.

My 084 needs s shorter .404 bar anyways....

Finally, another 07S with a grey bar cover! Everyone though mine was the wrong color, but it was original paint when I got it. Here's the gallery of pics where I rebuilt mine. LINK. The one you see on eBay for $800 isn't worth that much and the seller knows it. He actually wants to keep it and is simply wanting to see what kind of interest there is in these. The $200-$300 guess sounds farely accurate, but I really don't know. You simply don't see these for sale. I know you won't be seeing mine on the market:) Congrats on a neat old saw. I'd love to finish mine off with a old bar with the stamped logo in it.

BTW, I would not repaint your saw. That thing will clean up nicely and still be original.

Last edited:
thanks... that's the plan.
GB Pro-top .404 bar is already transfered to 084... fits great!

should get more use out of 084 without 48in bar :popcorn:
07-S looks lonely without a bar... we'll fix that soon. need to make a trip to Home Depot for that appliance paint. "cotton" or is the bar a different color?

That is truely amazing with the paint on the sprocket and all. I'd personally have to clean it all up nice, get it tip top running condition, then drain the fluids and put it on the shelf.

That is a fine looking 07S. I have a few around here. I need to find a 07.

Bill

thanks for the feedback... there's zero chance of me selling this for $300. thinking of taking the stamped logo bar off 08-S and putting it on 07-S. after refinishing with the proper color hopefully.

no way this original saw is getting repainted. thinking of not putting gas in and leaving it undisturbed, except for taking bar off.

My 084 needs a 36in .404 bar anyways....

:cry:

Ah I want one in that condition to but guess it won't be your's. :cry:

...Carl

Talked to actual original seller (Redbird Supply) of Stihl 07-S today and asked for a bit of history on saw. I told him about the GB bar on 07-S and how I assumed it was not original. He told me not necessarily, that GB was an old company that had been making bars in Australia for a long time.

production started with 07, but later 07-S models towards the end of production run certain had GB bars out of his shop new.

was messing around with 07-S today and realized it still had gas swishing around in tank. recent seller told me it'd been 5 years since he ran saw. He had gotten 07-S from his dad.

drained a bit of gas out and filled half way with fresh mix. Started pulling.. took me a bit to figure out controls.... after 10 or so pulls... she started right up... smoked badly due to condensed fuel in bowl... after a few minutes 07-S cleared right up... idle is a bit fast. loads of oil came out of chain oiler. it's all good!

next up was to take back 30 in .404 bar from 084. such a short bar just didn't feel right on 084 anyways.

mounted 30 in GB bar back on 07-S and she felt right at home again!
ran out of time... will adjust mixture/idle a bit later.

more pic's of carb soon..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back