026Pro hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My 026 takes 6 or 8 pulls to start the first time. After that, it runs fine and starts on the first pull when warm. Its less than a year old and used to start on the first pull every time. What's up?
:angry:

My wife has an 026 Pro that was a bear to start. When I did the muffler work that took care of most of the problem. Don't forget that the air fuel mix is in only 48 cc's with that saw and thats not much room. You can look up the muffler mods in old chats.

Later,
Chris

hard start

It is a choke problem or fuel problem. Need to check fuel and pulse hoses, no cracking of any kind.Make sure choke shutter closes tightly and there is a fast idle.
Also, check carb. Is it running lean at idle or top end? May just be set too lean for a good start.
If all else fails, get into the carb, especially if it sat with gas in it for a few months. Gte those limiter caps off and adjust so it idles smoth, tops out with a little blubber and revs without hestation.
Oh, change the sparkplug.I know it is not too old, but old gas seems to coat them and then it starts hard. Fuel filter too. A tuneup is the first thing to do.

How can a muffler cause hard starting?

Originally posted by stihlman036
My wife has an 026 Pro that was a bear to start. When I did the muffler work that took care of most of the problem. Don't forget that the air fuel mix is in only 48 cc's with that saw and thats not much room. You can look up the muffler mods in old chats.

Later,
Chris

Besides the muffler work (which is very simple), check your plug gap. Sometimes the plugs get dropped before you ever buy them and close down the gap. My boss's 026 was fairly tempermental until I checked the plug and found the gap was only 19/1000. I opened it up to 30/1000 and it seems to run better.

Originally posted by davefr
How can a muffler cause hard starting?

I probably fix 20 units a week with a clogged muffler screen, don't know if the saws have them, but most homedelight trimmers, and stihls have them.

People say they just wont rev up.

Dennis, You repremand me for implying that the Husky 346 air filter is less than perfect and leave this attack un-answered? Interesting.

Latest posts

Back