028 chain size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Picked up a 028 and need to get some bars / loops for it.
The application is for limbing. Bar will be 16-18 inch. What size type of chain would you recommend? Asked a couple of local shops and received different answers. Each shop was selling what they had in stock. One recommended 3/8 .063 full chisel (since they know I use 404 .063 Full Chisel on larger saws) The other shop 3/8 .050 low profile semi-chisel dual raker. Shops are telling me because of costs in the future to start using the 3/8 on the larger saws. They also said a 3/8 cuts faster than a 404 chain.

My personal preference would be .325 , but 3/8 full size would probably work as well and be more readily available. That saw would be too big for 3/8 low pro.
I assume you will get a sprocket to match. What size is it set up for now?

Looks like an oldie but goodie. Looks more sun-bleached and kicked around than used. If the guy knew so little about saws that he specified it used oil and gas mix, he probably didn't change the bar and chain from original specs. Let us know what shape it's in when you get it, great price! :blob2:

Treeclimber's right, it looks like it spent its life getting a tan. Nice saw. I don't have one, but I run 3/8" full chisel on a 20" bar on my 032. Seems to cut the little maple around here just fine, although I would have gone for an 18" if I had a choice.

At least he didn't say "Looks great and has great compression!" For 026's, it seems to mean "used underwater and in sand for 15 years as a rental, then blown."

Seller and eBay

The seller of this saw is a pawn shop so who knows what it was used for. Dare I say it was traded for beer money?
Ebay is a funny place. Put a MAC 610 with 24 bar & less than 10 hours use and couldn't give it away for 75 bucks.
Put a Stihl 39 loaned to relative who brought it back broke, loose and missing parts and it sold for $120. Buyer had to rebuild it. Anyway trying to figuire out what roll of chain I should buy for this saw when I get it. Will use 80% on Pine conifer and 20% on exotic wood like, cherry, Carob, Cherimoya, mulberry, pistachio, and the ever farvorite JuJube. Most of the time the cuts on those trees are by hand. Not that a saw won't do it but some owners have personal names for each tree if you get my meaning.

I think the 3/8 full chisel will suit you best. I like the .325 full chisel, but the cutter teeth are a lot shorter from the factory and so I don't get as much life out of them.
Skip or semi-skip will not give you as clean of a cut, use the full comp. As long as the saw is running right, an 18" or 20" should work well. 24" may be pushing it a little, but do-able. (We run 18"-20" on our 026's)

to each his own but i really just want a 16 inch on mine. we just dont have much that i cant handle w that.. gonna open one up soon to see how it affects the power.

Back