03 028?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS280

Line was being assembled last week. When I said a super 26, I was told replacement for the 028. As I only saw fuel tanks and handle bars, I thought it looked similar to a 260, but with an extra buffer on the tank.

i know its marketing and they know they have to show a fresh product sometimes. but to me it just means more unnecessary confusion when its time to fix it. this one takes a little different this an that. etc. get a good product ,leave it alone. build a new saw if u want to but dont do away with whats been a good
saw. jmho

just have it worked over Ryan and dont sweat it
He might have to sweat it if Stihl puts the 4 transfer cylinder they are rumored to have. You can bet that it will have more snot than the husky as I am sure Stihl used the 346 as a hp benchmark. Isnt competion great?

WRONG! bwalker - you seem to think the gains in cutting speed are small after the saw is worked over by Ken or Dennis. Let me assure you they are much bigger than your guessing allows for you to believe. Besides, the 346xp as all the xp huskies have 4 port transfers - are you telling me the stihls are just now catching on?! LOL

A worked over 346xp will smoke saws much bigger in displacement due to it have had its cutting speed increased over 35% (conservative) from stock. You really need to run one to understand - ask anyone here that has a tuned one and you will realise that a factory cc, or porting improvement will not stand a chance against the extensive cylinder & piston mods these guys put in their saws. Unfortunately you are falling vistim to the old Ford/Chevy debate and illusions of grandeur for ones favourite as we all do from time to time....and yes the competition is good, makes both makes better!

Just got done toalking to my stihl rep who just got back from germany. They did a siminar on the new saws and the drill, and 4 stroke weedeater.

The new trimmer is sweet! Very quiet, super clean burning, no more weight, lot better fuel economy too. Revs just like the 2 strokes.

He said he asked the german stihl gurus if they were going to make a 4cycle saw, he said they just smiled.

Also coming out witha 4cycle backpack blower.

about the quad ports - 346,357, 365 special, 372,385 all have them for sure. Dont know for sure about 395 and 3120, but expect this to be the case. Im sure there are many more (351 for one) that I have missed.

bwalker - Doug just posted a very informative dyno curve on the 346 hopped by walkers vs. stock;

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6041

still think the new stock stihl will make it sweat?:p

still think the new stock stihl will make it sweat?
Sure I do... When both are stock. No doubt Ken or Den could massage either to stomp the other, but who cares stock #'s is what Im talking about. Heck a modded 346 will beat a 365 and the same with a 026 and the 036. Its all relivent.

nice choice, LOL, ....what mafia?!

anyway, like said before, for the same price as the stihl I am sure one can have a hopped husky. Russ said earlier I think that one could get a 346 walkerized from walkers for around $500 earlier this year. stomp.

:D

btw, what do you think of your 372? Did you pick it up new or used? what setup do you have on it?

When I posted a weeks ago that the 028 was coming back as a MS280 a few people thought I was nuts. As I said then the MS270 is out now and the factory rep's said the MS280 was in development with the hopes of getting it out yet this fall. According to stihltech it is now being built. What I was told is it would definately replace the MS260 but not for some time. It is hard to kill the MS260 after only a short time of production. There is so much time and money involved in tooling and production that they must produce and sell the MS260 to recoupt their investment. Of course the MS280 will not be a copy of the 028. It will be faster and have huge improvements in vibration isolation. Will it outpreform a 346XP ? I do not know but I guess we will all find out.

Bill G din producin

Back