036 oil pump outlet hose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got one of my 036 Pros stripped down for new P/C and seals, and will need to replace the oil pump outlet hose. Yes the real &*#@ing stiff one.

A search reference said to use a heat gun, if you don't have that handy, will a boiling water bath get it hot enough to become pliable?

Another oil pump question. Andy hot rodded an 066 pump with optional internals, are similar parts available for the 036?

It's a lot easier to replace the whole oil pump. It comes with the hose attached already. I've replaced a few myself. Sure it might cost extra money. But the time saved is well worth it. Other wise, good luck. Take pics, I want to know how to replace just the hose.

It's a lot easier to replace the whole oil pump. It comes with the hose attached already. I've replaced a few myself. Sure it might cost extra money. But the time saved is well worth it. Other wise, good luck. Take pics, I want to know how to replace just the hose.

I'm going to guess the pump is ~$60 and the hose maybe $6?

I'm doing pics of the whole thing.

This was a low hours freebie saw that has a mild seize on the exhaust side. I have not got the aluminum off the cyl yet to see if it's salvageable, but it looks like it will clean up (I have both NOS spare piston/rings and piston/cyl assy). Not sure what caused seize so am doing seals, fuel/impulse lines. Will also upgrade to large bearing clutch assy.

I've got one of my 036 Pros stripped down for new P/C and seals, and will need to replace the oil pump outlet hose. Yes the real &*#@ing stiff one.

A search reference said to use a heat gun, if you don't have that handy, will a boiling water bath get it hot enough to become pliable?

Another oil pump question. Andy hot rodded an 066 pump with optional internals, are similar parts available for the 036?

LOL, isn't that hose fun. I wish I could still get that stiff at 51,LOLOL

I always measure it first and put in the brass oil outlet and then pry the hussy through the case hole, down and around to the oil pump. I take a cigarette ligher and heat up the fitting on the pump, not too hot, and heat the hose a bit and slide it on. Do that with the pump not screwed down. Once everything is attached screw the pump in place. Its a PITA for sure but with patinece it can be done. Be sure to put the spring in the hose or the hose will colaspe and fold..

LOL, isn't that hose fun. I wish I could still get that stiff at 51,LOLOL

I always measure it first and put in the brass oil outlet and then pry the hussy through the case hole, down and around to the oil pump. I take a cigarette ligher and heat up the fitting on the pump, not too hot, and heat the hose a bit and slide it on. Do that with the pump not screwed down. Once everything is attached screw the pump in place. Its a PITA for sure but with patinece it can be done. Be sure to put the spring in the hose or the hose will colaspe and fold..

So the hole feeds down thru were the oil comes out? How the heck does it push all the way down thru that? Do you make the tool (sacrifice pliers) in the service manual?

So the hole feeds down thru were the oil comes out? How the heck does it push all the way down thru that? Do you make the tool (sacrifice pliers) in the service manual?

I merely use alot of cussing and getter done. That hose is a pita for sure. Yup the end of the hose where the oil comes out has a little brass fitting that goes in the hose. You push that hose through the hole in the case of the saw. When you get to the end of the hose that brass fitting end fits in very tight in the hole of the case. The other end goes to the oil pump. That hose is stiffer than a wedding uhhhhhhhhh well you know.

Heat the pump nipple with propane, pre-heat the hose, stuff it on. Trivial, the third time. Cut FIRST to the exact length in the IPl -72mm IIRC.
Don't forget the spring inside the hose before you bend it...

Oh... On the early 034/036 - drill out the case hole slighlty. !/4 I believe...

Last edited:
Heat the pump nipple with propane, pre-heat the hose, stuff it on. Trivial, the third time. Cut FIRST to the exact length in the IPl -72mm IIRC.
Don't forget the spring inside the hose before you bend it...

Oh... On the early 034/036 - drill out the case hole sligthly. !/4 I beleive...

Good point, that spring. I found out the hard way without that spring that hose will fold like a dollar bill. I've found that Press Fluid Stihl offers helps sliding that hose through the hole in the case.

Let's make sure I've got this right.

1) Cut hose to length (74mm, 2.9"), insert coiled spring.

2) Heat one end and insert into case hole onto brass nipple

3) Bend to form curve to get to pump (Heat here too?)

4) Heat pump nipple and hose end, slide on.

5) bolt on pump.

???

Thall's first description almost sounds like you pull the brass fitting (ez out?) put the hose on it, and feed the whole hose through the hole and seat the fitting?

Do you guys recommend getting TWO hoses just in case...........

Last edited:
Let's make sure I've got this right.

1) Cut hose to length (74mm, 2.9"), insert coiled spring.

2) Heat one end and insert into case hole onto brass nipple

3) Bend to form curve to get to pump (Heat here too?)

4) Heat pump nipple and hose end, slide on.

5) bolt on pump.

Yup yup but don't heat the hose too much on the bend , use little as possibe if your going to heat it...

I do it the opposite - put the hose on the pump (hold pump in a vice), insert spring, heat the hose slightly, then insert it into the case.. then the nipple...

I do a couple a week... Pretty easy after while, but the first few were a pita..

and yep 74mm is correct...

And... no need for two hoses. The kit has enough for two tries ;)

I do it the opposite - put the hose on the pump (hold pump in a vice), insert spring, heat the hose slightly, then insert it into the case.. then the nipple...

I do a couple a week... Pretty easy after while, but the first few were a pita..

and yep 74mm is correct...

And... no need for two hoses. The kit has enough for two tries ;)

So Andy, the hose goes into the case from the pump end when doing it this way. I was thinking it fed down thru the bar end. WDO

Latest posts

Back