038av Magnum - Need help identifying this piece

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jvest18

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought an 038av Magnum chainsaw. I found it in the back of a pawnshop that has been sitting since 2018. I drained what little fluid was in it. I am in the process of ordering some parts for it that it needs before I can try to fire it up. Out of all the diagrams I have found, I cannot find what part this piece is. Will try to add pictures.

It is a circular piece that sits under the bar oil cap. It has a screw in it that cannot get tight. Seems it lets oil come out of the screw hole. Please help me identify what it is so I may replace it. There will be more items I’m sure to find out what they are to replace also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Those are the anti-vibration mounts. Nothing to do with oiling.

See illustration M in IPL
On that diagram, none of the parts on there look like that plastic piece the screw is inside. I originally thought that as well, but I cannot find that exact plastic piece under the cap. Also why then does oil come out from that screw?

Thank you for helping me.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.png
    IMG_0189.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
If oil comes out of it, that means the oil tank has a crack in it. Problem with that is, the case will have to be TIG welded to fix the issue and that entails taking the entire saw apart. Hope you didn't pay much for it. Forget bondo or epoxy as neither will hold. TIG welding is the only fix and the TIG rod for the alloy case is very expensive as well. I paid well over 150 bucks for a 5 pound sleeve of it.

Saw looks pretty flogged as well. Understand, to weld it entails a complete teardown and I mean everything has to be removed from the main casting because it has to be clean, very clean to TIG weld it and not many welders that do TIG are gonna weld it for you either. Like I said, the filler rod is prohibitive in cost and it takes a helluva lot of prep to weld it anyway.

For a start- someone has fitted the AV cover bung for the PTO side of the saw into the recoil side AV- the part is an incorrect fit (for this side of the saw) by a previous owner- or they tore the head off an original plug and replaced it with the PTO side one from another saw.
The t like section on that plug is for the alloy chain catch to mount to and the coarse thread screw holds the chain catch on whilst also expanding the plug to jamb fit the AV pocket.

How much oil comes out if screw removed? There is a pocket in that rubber AV that will harbour a bit of spilled chain bar oil from over filling with the incorrect plug fitted- if it drains the tank- then yes there is a case crack- if it is a tiny amount maybe just trapped overspill.

1119 791 7305 is the plug you show
1119 791 7306 is the plug that should be in there

For a start- someone has fitted the AV cover bung for the PTO side of the saw into the recoil side AV- the part is an incorrect fit (for this side of the saw) by a previous owner- or they tore the head off an original plug and replaced it with the PTO side one from another saw.
The t like section on that plug is for the alloy chain catch to mount to and the coarse thread screw holds the chain catch on whilst also expanding the plug to jamb fit the AV pocket.

How much oil comes out if screw removed? There is a pocket in that rubber AV that will harbour a bit of spilled chain bar oil from over filling with the incorrect plug fitted- if it drains the tank- then yes there is a case crack- if it is a tiny amount maybe just trapped overspill.

1119 791 7305 is the plug you show
1119 791 7306 is the plug that should be in there
I am waiting for a new oil cap for it before I add any fluid. Cap is cracked. Looking inside could it be a bad gasket?

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpeg
    IMG_0191.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0192.jpeg
    IMG_0192.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Could be if it was leaking from the case seam.
Perhaps, given the general condition of the saw, it is time to drop the tank off the cases and do a thorough investigation- replacing the aged and oil swollen AV rubbers while you have things apart?

Looking at the photo of you holding the filler cap- case half appears to have some mag rot- that may have eaten a weep hole through the thin section near the AV pocket.

Could be if it was leaking from the case seam.
Perhaps, given the general condition of the saw, it is time to drop the tank off the cases and do a thorough investigation- replacing the aged and oil swollen AV rubbers while you have things apart?

Looking at the photo of you holding the filler cap- case half appears to have some mag rot- that may have eaten a weep hole through the thin section near the AV pocket.
I have found most of the parts online. I cannot find a couple though to completely do all of the av mounts. I do think you are correct on it being old oil coming from the av mount. It is dark oil vs from the oil cap the oil was light in color.

I got some parts in the mail. So far doesn’t seem it is leaking bar oil. Saw actually starts. I need to adjust the carb though. Chain moves pretty fast with brake off.

I got some parts in the mail. So far doesn’t seem it is leaking bar oil. Saw actually starts. I need to adjust the carb though. Chain moves pretty fast with brake off.

Pressure and vacuum test it before running it too much.
Age and general condition by the photos provided thus far- bound to have an air leak or three.

Pressure and vacuum test it before running it too much.
Age and general condition by the photos provided thus far- bound to have an air leak or three.
I turned the h and l out one turn. They were 2.5 out. I turned the la until the screw touched the throttle piece. It was 3 turns to far in so it was high revving. It isn’t fast with brake off now. I will have to look up a tester to buy. But all accounts now she runs great that I can tell. The fuel filter that I ordered has to small of a nipple compared to the one in the tank. Need to order one of those. Looks like fuel line and vent line are in great shape. Did the air filter and plug.

WOW. We went from what is this part to your saw is euchred pretty fast!
Yes, wrong AV plug. Will it work. Yup. Just has a spot for the chain catch when used on the other side.
Will a little oil come out when you take it out? Probably. Came from the leaking oil cap and spillage as stated before.
Pull the plug out and the AV mount behind it. Clean it all off under the saw. When you get the new oil cap, fill it up with oil and let it set with a paper towel under it. You will know in a short time if there is an oil leak.
Something to watch for- correct length screws in the bottom of the handle bar. Common issue that too long a screw was installed and it wore through the bottom of the case. JB weld is the answer.
Check the condition of the motor before spending a lot on it. Nothing worse than spending money on a unit and finding out it has excessive wear internally

WOW. We went from what is this part to your saw is euchred pretty fast!
Yes, wrong AV plug. Will it work. Yup. Just has a spot for the chain catch when used on the other side.
Will a little oil come out when you take it out? Probably. Came from the leaking oil cap and spillage as stated before.
Pull the plug out and the AV mount behind it. Clean it all off under the saw. When you get the new oil cap, fill it up with oil and let it set with a paper towel under it. You will know in a short time if there is an oil leak.
Something to watch for- correct length screws in the bottom of the handle bar. Common issue that too long a screw was installed and it wore through the bottom of the case. JB weld is the answer.
Check the condition of the motor before spending a lot on it. Nothing worse than spending money on a unit and finding out it has excessive wear internally
I’ve attached a video. Is that high pitch metal noise normal for this saw. Also how much play is there suppose to be with the I believe that’s the work gear / chain sprocket. Thanks again for all your guys help so far. I don’t know if I feel confident tearing it completely apart plus I do not have some of the specialty tools to do some of it. Stihl dealer around here wants 135 an hour to tear it apart and do a full inspection / fix things. At that point the cost wouldn’t be worth it.
View attachment IMG_0261.mov

Don't sound too noisy? A vid in a full cut with a sharp chain would tell us more, and how the tune is.

Don't run it hard if you can't get a good tune or any signs of air leaks. As Bob said a pres/vac test will tell if any of the rubber/seals have leaks.

Have you pulled the muffler to check P/C? Post a picture when you do.

P.S. A gasket set comes with new seals, and costs less than separate seals, ~$15 and good to have on hand if you are keeping the saw.

Latest posts

Back