044 bar oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointindog

Reaction score
Hey Stihl experts, I just bought a used Stihl 044. It is in pretty nice condition for being a used saw and don't have any problems with it performace wise, however when not being used it leaks the bar oil out on to the floor. It is not like a huge leak (not empting the resevoir or anything) just about a baseball size puddle in about a week, just enough to make a mess to clean up. I was just wondering what caused that and if it could be repaired reasonably or should I just live with it. I have a bunch of other Stihl saws that are in more used shape and none of them do it. Let me know and thanks.
Pointindog

It's normal in most saws I've seen. The best I have is my Jonsey 111S that'll leave a little puddle and stop. The worst is probably my Stilh 032 that'll bleed out given enough time.

Store 'em on old paper bags

2 places to check. A vent under the inside bar plate, and the oil pump pickup where the pump fits into it. The oil drain off idea has some validity also. Make sure it is not coming from btween the case halve also.

i have 7 saws that will leave varying amts. the new echo doesnt ,but its not a biggee for me ,long as its not too bad. the main thing is adquate lube ,when cuttuing.

Latest posts

Back