044 vs. 046 for Stihltech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
044vs046

For starters, there is .5 ci difference, which translates into over one half horse more power. Transfer ports also make power. The power has been upped at least once on each model. Differences in intake and exhaust size.
I have cutters running both, most like the 046 for the extra power, but the guys with a better knowledge of cutting will use an 044 just as much, some prefer it for less weight. most of the logging around here is done with 046, only a few 066 users anymore.

Thats funny you say that stihltech, most the guys around here use the 066, they say the 046M boggs too much for their tastes.

stihltech

I thought a 46 to a 44 was as a 66 is to 64, or even 88 to a 084
same size displacement but carb and muffler mods??:blob2:

vs

You guys are pretty much right. The larger number saw does have more displacement, usually a larger piston, with crankbearing improvments. A carb alone is not how Stihl does it.
Mostly 20 inch bars around here as the big timber is about gone. No complaints about bogging. They are using 66's on wood processors.
Revs are great, but in a working saw, some torque will make more wood, IMHO.:cool:

44vs 46

Jiml , ibet your in alot of hardwood ,use mine when icut big hardwood, or in the bottoms cutting big pine.

Back