064 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griggs55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up an 064 off marketplace that was in need of some tlc. Replaced the carb. Did a quick cleanup( gas tank, oil tank,etc..) . Had it running & cut a few cookies off a 30+" black walnut when it started getting really hot then shut down. When I tried re-cranking I wasn't getting any fire and the compression was intense ( to the point that I could barely get it pulled) .
So far all I've done is pull the spark plug to see if that relieves the compression, it does. Where do I go from here..

Was the compression still extreme after the saw cooled? Was the carb at standard settings or too lean? Personally I would remove the muffler and look through the exhaust port for scoring or ring damage and through the spark plug hole. Id also check for a spark with a new spark plug. Before spending any money on a saw, you should always pressure and vac test - this is not the same as a compression test.

Was the compression still extreme after the saw cooled? Was the carb at standard settings or too lean? Personally I would remove the muffler and look through the exhaust port for scoring or ring damage and through the spark plug hole. Id also check for a spark with a new spark plug. Before spending any money on a saw, you should always pressure and vac test - this is not the same as a compression test.
THIS!

Back