066 Saw Brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
066 Chain Brake

I picked up an 066 (cheap) with good compression but the chain brake does not engage :confused:. Where is a good place to start looking for what could be the problem?

Thanks

Tom

Last edited:
chain brake

Remove the spocket cover and check the brake band and springs the brake band should clamp down on the drum when engaged. Seth

If the band does not clamp onto the clutch drum and it does not click when the hand guard is moved forward and back, remove the scres that hold the plastic cover around the cluth drum. You will now see the brake mechanism. Look for a large spring, it should have tension on it. If it is OK, check the band for breakage. The trip mechanism must move down to apply the band. I find sawdust binding this sometimes. Blow it all out.

I had the thing apart 10 minutes before i read that.

I tore the entire saw down to put in a new tank body, ill be ????ed if the one i had was for an 046. everything mounted up until i went to put the orange carb mount deal that goes ontop of the tank on. its too wide....
bummer.

Yup. I had a guy bring me in a trade in a year or so ago. The people took it in as an 066. I didn't see it till later that afternoon. I took one look at it and it and noticed the recoil cover was different. Guy put an 066 tag on an 046. Really sent the bossman for a loop. I look at everything now before it is taken in on trade...

066 chain brake - FIXED

Thanks for helping me with the chain brake. The pictures were great. Some prior owner had pulled the chain brake handle out slightly and turned the clasping bracket around. why I don't know, but everything was there and working, it just was put together backwards, so the metal coiled brake wouldn't stay attached to the little metal clip.

Back