076 value and reliability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BareFoot

Reaction score
Help-076 buy or not?

some advice please....
have a chance to purchase an older 076 which may have cut 5 trees in its life... compression excellent and i guess in VGC to LN.
need a value on this thing and some idea of reliability. I have not even seen any specs on this machine or an online manual on it, even at Stihl and have looked. Asking is $550 and has 36" I must make decision by sun night.
Last ques, how are parts and avalibility?
I may not be an expert but i know when to ask one.

Last edited:
They're nice, big saws. 111cc, 6.5HP. Parts supply is good because they share the powerhead with the current TS-760 demolition saw. As far as the price, it sounds on the steep side to me. I think I've seen them at around $200-250 on eBay in the past in good shape, although I can't find any that have ended recently.

076 Info

BareFoot, the information that I have on the 076 is 111 cc's and 7.2 horsepower at 7,500 RPM. For comparison, the 066 displaces 91.6 cc's and is rated by Stihl at 7.1 hp at 9,500 RPM and the 088 displaces 121.67 cc's and 8.7 hp at 8,500 RPM. From these numbers, you can see that the 076 is a torquer - it most likely won't cut nearly as fast as either the 066 or the 088 but it shouldn't bog in the cut either. For the condition that you gave for this saw (very good to like new), I would say that the price that the guy is asking is maybe a little on the high side - not by much - but it depends on the condition of the saw. I don't have any info on the weight but I would guess that it's up there with the 088 (22.2 lbs. for the powerhead) if not higher since it's an older model. Your best bet for good feedback on the reliability, value, and parts availability for this model would be from Ken Dunn, the Rupely's, Art Martin and other guys from the Pacific Northwest who have been around, used and worked on large saws like this for a long time.

Steve

The HP info I got was from the TS-760, so I guess the 076 is in a higher state of tune.

My 111S is 110cc and also 6.5 at 7,500 (10,000 WOT), so it's all torque and no speed. It was a direct competitor with the 076 and 2100 in the late '70s. None are saws I'd want carry around all day, but good for big bucking or stumping.

Back