Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
My saw guy says if you run a short bar(24"-32") on an 088 you will burn it up. Is this true???

What is the optimum bar length range for an 088?:confused:

I had a customer running a shorter than 20" bar on his 088 it ran fine for the whole year he cut with it......he is a cutter by the way.....cuts for a living.

John runs a 21'' bar on his 088KD all the time if I'm not mistaken, so that being the case I would have to say; yes he's FOS!!!:rolleyes:

Hello- running a shorter bar on your larger saw will actually extend the saw's life. Shorter bars mean less leverage applied to the pto side of the crank, which in turn means less force applied to the main bearings and connecting rod bearing. This is the reason why Stihl recommends an 18" for the MS-440, and a 21" bar for the 088.

I ran a 15" bar on my 066 for firewood, but with the larger dogs that only gives about 12" of cutting length which is plenty.
John

Short bars works great on an 088, but don't use the coil to limit the rpm. The limiter is just to stop the saw from flying to pieces, not to provide any reasonable working rpm limit. Running consistantly at the high end of rpms, particularly with partial throttle, will definitely reduce saw life. I have a melted 088 crank on my bench to prove it....

Jacob J. said:
Hello- running a shorter bar on your larger saw will actually extend the saw's life. Shorter bars mean less leverage applied to the pto side of the crank, which in turn means less force applied to the main bearings and connecting rod bearing. This is the reason why Stihl recommends an 18" for the MS-440, and a 21" bar for the 088.

I beleive the reason they recommend the short bars, and the safety chain (!), is because of kickback liability.

Why teh heck would anyone run a short bar on an 066 or 088? If you wnat an 18" bar why not just have an MS260? With an 088 I'd be starting with a 50" bar, maybe 42", but maybe I'M an idiot!?

Diesel JD said:
Why teh heck would anyone run a short bar on an 066 or 088? If you wnat an 18" bar why not just have an MS260? With an 088 I'd be starting with a 50" bar, maybe 42", but maybe I'M an idiot!?

I was reading through this post thinking the same thing. It seems to me that the reason they make bigger saws is to power bigger bars. But Im from the west, and in general people run at least 32 inch bars on 044s and up. I have never seen people run 066 with anything less 32 inch bars, and the idea of running a 20 inch or shorter bar on an 088 seems rediculous!!! However, I can understand that some people might like that extra horse power, but after a certain point it seems like it wouldnt matter. I mean, the power of a 44 would be sufficient to run a 20 inch bar in very harsh conditions, so Im really unclear why you would need anything more. It was my understanding that a proper application for the 088 would be having and extremely large bar for falling big timber.

ive run a 18" squiare 3/8 chain on a 46 there wasnt that much difference compared to running a 25"

Back