12v Oregon chain sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old mac sharpener came with my pro mac 650. Mine is pretty underpowered(you can grab it with your hand (no I dont recommend doing this) and stop the cutter, not nearly enough power.

I use one to fix chains that have been fragged. You need to be careful not to overheat the cutters and to keep the stone moving; otherwise the stone will wear unevenly. Also wear some safety glasses cuz the stones can fragment. Once the chain is back to near normal, I switch back to a file. Good tool, cheap price and handy in the field.

Sharpener

Have the same one, like all tools it's ability to do the job exceeds my ability to use the tool to it's potential. Does a good job for me, pretty quickly. I,m careful not to overheat the cutters and unlike my hand filing, the saw cuts straight when I,m done. Like it....Lanny:rockn:

I have one too. The saw seems to cut better when I sharpen it with the Oregon than when the chain is new. The Oregon 12V sharpener also does a better job than if I use a file or take it into the shop for sharpening as well. I'm not to good with a file though. Like the other guys said, don't hold it on there for too long. I usually just barely touch each tooth with it and it works great!

Our stihl shop sells the griders for it too. They are made by Granberg (did I spell that right?) and work in threaded and non-threaded sharpeners.

Latest posts

Back