17 ton wood splitter??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Normally I like to go big, and everyone says to for splitters. But I am looking at 17 ton wood splitter. Reason I am considering that, and not 27 ton, is it smaller. Easier to fit in the barn, and move around by myself. Biggest I would probably split is 12-14” green maple. At the moment I let green wood dry before splitting by hand. I do some choke cherry. We do get some real big poplar, but often I leave it in woods. This is for my camp. Being that Wisconsin is full of dead ash, I have considered getting a wood burner for at home too.

Looking at the 17 ton and it looks so small, compared to the bigger units, it makes me nervous. But also the size could me nice. Opinions? I do about 2 cord a wood at camp a year.

On sale $750, and I happen to have 750 credit. Opinions? Thanks
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/lu...RMoHwR!-1111992827?bc=11434|11435|11471|11477

No replies yet, so I'll put my $0.02 in. First, that splitter is listed as 18 Ton. No big deal, 1 Ton, just sounds better. I have a 22 Ton base model and I do alright with it on hardwoods. I do noodle the big stuff. It won't split 24" dia. stuff by itself without rotating 180 deg and hitting it again.

So what I'm saying, does 4 Ton difference between yours and mine make a big difference? I don't think so. I'm not sure about the brand of the engine. Ex-US engine may shoot craps after the first year and then you're looking for a replacement. I don't know. I didn't notice if it was horizontal or vertical motor? A horizontal Predator engine from HF runs about $150. Any reviews?

I don't see myself doing much big stuff, once in awhile the base. If you can do it by rotating, I think I would be ok, for the little I do.

It looks so much smaller, which on one hand would be nice to handle. On the other I wonder if it is wussy?

Other dumb question, would you tow one of these on the interstate? My plan is to put on a trailer. Which having it lighter would be nice for that too.

If people say little ones are junk, then so be it. If they say for 12-14" green it will be ok, I might but it. If I just have to rotate big stuff once in awhile.

I have never used a log splitter. I got $800 credit at fleet farm. I just took down a green tree. Which normally I just stack for a year. I also want to clear more stuff that could fall someday on building. Most of those are 8".

If something is real big, I leave it the woods. I mostly cut dead stuff around my property.

I don't see myself doing much big stuff, once in awhile the base. If you can do it by rotating, I think I would be ok, for the little I do.

It looks so much smaller, which on one hand would be nice to handle. On the other I wonder if it is wussy?

Other dumb question, would you tow one of these on the interstate? My plan is to put on a trailer. Which having it lighter would be nice for that too.

If people say little ones are junk, then so be it. If they say for 12-14" green it will be ok, I might but it. If I just have to rotate big stuff once in awhile.

I have never used a log splitter. I got $800 credit at fleet farm. I just took down a green tree. Which normally I just stack for a year. I also want to clear more stuff that could fall someday on building. Most of those are 8".

If something is real big, I leave it the woods. I mostly cut dead stuff around my property.
Definitely do NOT tow it on the interstate. They are usually rated for only 35 mph max. I always load mine on the trailer and you're right a bigger one is hard to get up the ramps. I leave it at home now.

For the bigger stuff, you can noodle it too.

As I said, look for reviews and check out the engine manufacturer. I have a cheap ex-US engine on a pressure washer and it's giving me fits.

Stay away from the small splitters, they are short so your logs must be cut short and they are invisible when towing plus they do not have a shelf or room for one. The engine mounted up high means louder and more uncomfortable starting. A larger splitter will pivot vertical allowing large logs to easily be split without lifting or piles of cut logs split while sitting , you will start splitting bigger stuff don't kid yourself. A good hook or pickaroon is very helpful. Log splitters are not rated for over 45mph that I have seen, tiny tires for a low working height.

I don't plan on splitting longer than 19". I do sure like my hook/pickeroon. I did notice the bigger one had a shelf on the splitter.

I got two barns full of ______. Plus moving by myself had me thinking of it. I like that it is small, but it also looks so small.

Easy to move mine using a riding mower, tractor or the truck or 15-20 feet by hand on hard ground....reminds me how much crap I just threw out from the shed to make some room...need to do it again and list some saw and car parts on evilbay

On the smaller splitters the wedge is not as wide so they will split better than you think. There are a lot of used one out there 4-sale as I bought one last year a 28 ton and it seems to split what is loaded. The guy said the wifey just didn't like the wood stove as to dusty, smelly and dirty. I saved around $600 off what it sold for new.

1727318419671.png

Here is my old splitter I used for years as the Tecumseh engine finally went bad and they don't make them no more.

1727318692072.png

Normally I like to go big, and everyone says to for splitters. But I am looking at 17 ton wood splitter. Reason I am considering that, and not 27 ton, is it smaller. Easier to fit in the barn, and move around by myself. Biggest I would probably split is 12-14” green maple. At the moment I let green wood dry before splitting by hand. I do some choke cherry. We do get some real big poplar, but often I leave it in woods. This is for my camp. Being that Wisconsin is full of dead ash, I have considered getting a wood burner for at home too.

Looking at the 17 ton and it looks so small, compared to the bigger units, it makes me nervous. But also the size could me nice. Opinions? I do about 2 cord a wood at camp a year.

On sale $750, and I happen to have 750 credit. Opinions? Thanks
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/lu...RMoHwR!-1111992827?bc=11434|11435|11471|11477
A friend has a cheap Amazon "7 ton" gas powered splitter that I've used. Altogether I split 1 1/2 cords of Ash with it. The bigger stuff was over 18" and there was a number of knotty (some with big knots), stringy chunks. This little splitter busted everything! I can't tell you what kind of engine is on it, but it starts easily and he's has it for more than 10 years.
I would not tow it on the road! Otherwise not a bad machine.

Latest posts

Back