288 lite vs 384xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Husky is still offering the 288 in it's 2002 catalog. 8 has always been a good number for me. Hoping to get some opinions on these saws as well as maybe throwing the 066 into the mix.

- Fall will be here before you know it. Must have seen a flock of 50 - 60 turkeys today in the road. It was early, but from what I could tell, not a jake amoung them...alot of young birds. Saw my first two bucks of this summer this evening. Life is good...Ya'll be careful:)

Mike, did you mean the 385xp or the 394/395xp, as far as I know Husky doesn't or didn't make a 384. I was kinda thinking of starting the same thread. My question was going to be a modified 372/2171or a stock 066. May as well throw in a stock or modified 385.My brother is running a stock 288 and seems to really like it.

Jeff

I got a 288xplite. Love that saw. It was the first pro saw I ever owned and got it for milling. I broke it in with some felling and bucking and fell in love with it. Fast and not too heavy, but not that light for all day. I had a faulty carb and burned it up milling but Husky warranteed it (my Husky guy does good by me) and I use my baby exclusively for logging.(bought a 3120 for the milling) I usually run a 24" bar w/ 72 LG on it but I have been running a 20" bar too, to test out how the balance changes so I can delay the inevitable purchase of the 372. Not bad, can't go wrong with although if I had bought the 3120 first I probably would have gotten the 372 instead of the 288. But I guess another saw or two won't kill anyone.

my bad on that boys, ???? ther's so many models. 385xp , I guess is what I meant to say. I'm thinking a 372 would do me, but I'm probably looking for a big tree-occasional milling saw. Seems like I remember a post (belirve by rupedog) that said he had a friend in a commerical firewood yard that had trashed a bunch of 372's? I'm trying to remember boy's and my memry ain't to good.

husky 288

Hello mike,
the 288 is a sweet saw. they really run strong modified. you need to change the porting and add an addition boost port to get the max out of them. they will outrun a modified 372 or a stock 066. but they are not as fast as a modified 385.I've modified a number of 385's and they are holy terrors. you have to do a lot of work to the pistons but I think we are getting close to 50 % more power . a modified 288 makes a nice woods saw.just the right size.
ken

Thanks for the good info guys. Sounds like you can't make a bad choice. If that modified 288 will outrun an 066, it's gotta be a runner. But the modified 385xp runs stronger? Wow!

the thing i do not like about the 385xp is the smaller dogs than the 288. its harder to sink them when startning a cut on big wood. does the new 395 have the smaller dogs also? or did they keep the old style biger dogs? other than that i would prefer the 385. easier to tighten the chain, snap off cover and better air filter. i'd like to order bigger dogs for the 385. they both power a 28in bar nicely, but i would not go bigger than that.

288 husky

Dont know much about you guys i've owned many 288s never had any trouble , wether a 20 inch or 36, friend of mine top notch cutter ran his new 385 8months main bearing ceased up so dont know for lastibilty, the 288 is good for me, now its the 66mag

288vs385 husky

Hello yukon 659

I would have to vote for the 288. it has a really good track record. hardly any problems. the crankcase is built stronger than the 385. the only problem we had were
cracks across the bar plate if they were twisted to hard. the 385 makes more power stock or modified. time will tell, they may be just as durable. then i'll have to vote for the 385 husky. right now i'll vote with logcutter 429 for the 288
ken

Ken, thanks for your input. I guess that "newer" isn't always "better". If I remember correctly, one of the Rupley boys expressed their opinion about Husky's 300 series being inferior to the 200 series. In fact I think he said that the 2100(?) was one of the best saws ever manufactured.

Jeff

Hello guys,

I would have to say that the 288 was one of the best saws I ever ran myself. Cut with three different ones for over 4 yrs. Never had any trouble out of any of them. I still have two of them and use them to buck logs. The only difference between the lite and the XP was a spring mount on the bottom side of the case I think? Maybe one of you guys know for sure, I thought it lightened it up about 1/2pd. Later Wade

All these testamonials(sp.) about how reliable the 288 is has got me thinking about looking for a good used one with a 24" bar as my next saw purchase.

Jeff

I would keep my eyes on E-bay I have seen at least two new ones for sale and they went pretty cheap around 500.00 dollars. If your looking for a new one you had better jump pretty fast I was told by my local dealer that they were going to phase them out and that they were no longer being prodced. Hope I am wrong and good luck with your search, Wade

Now see.. this is exactly what I'm talking about............sheezz.... bring it up on this forum and you might as well forget about e-bay for the next 6 months. Thing is, if you pay attention, in 6 months, that saw will be up for sale again. Better condition than the first time. Ya'll be careful ;)

In regard to the Husky 288

A climber friend of mine has a 288. After 6 or 7 yrs. the top-end finally gave up the ghost. At a cost of $280 or so he installed a whole new top-end. This saw now runs like new. Also, nothing in the top-end was broke. It had a scored piston, we still don't know what caused this. Rich.

Last edited:
Hey Fellas,
I have a 288XP Lite as well as a 281XP and I love them. They have never missed a beat. I believe the Lite version also has a little lighter clutch assembly. I too have noticed that the 200 series Husky's seem to have better quality and reliability. I was really thinking of picking up a 385 by Walkers or KD but now I don't know. I have enough saws already but whats that got to do with it right? May the 200 series forever live on in the hearts of MEN!

Latest posts

Back