288xp vs 288xp Lite lite-NO good VIBRATIONS!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've done alot of reading, and it seems the differences aren't 100% clear...

other than the 288lite, being 'the last of the real interceptors...' (Road Warrior) :laugh:

so, help me (us) figure this out:

288xp:

rubber AV mounts
no decomp (or maybe on the last of the reg 288's :confused:

Lite:
spring AV mounts
decomp..

I've also heard that the lite has NO spring AV mounted to the inner bucking spike, but the Lite I have here has signs of one being mounted, but no bracket, or spring.

is the Lite actually lighter??

this 288 LITE VIBES like a Bastid :cry:....I can't really tell if one of the AV mounts is bad by twisting the tank a bit...

Am I missing something? special way to check this?

Thanks guys! :cheers:

288xp most have all spring AV mounts .........I change them over to rubber because Im sick of broken springs .......I leave the dawg spring alone on most of mine.......I threw out a bag full of broken Husky springs a few months ago.............

Its a older design saw. It ain't gonna have the antivib that todays saws have. Mine has a good bit of vibs. Nothing that I can't live without though. If its too bad look into changing out for some new mounts.

288xp most have all spring AV mounts .........I change them over to rubber because Im sick of broken springs .......I leave the dawg spring alone on most of mine.......I threw out a bag full of broken Husky springs a few months ago.............

Hey Ultra,

which 288's had rubber?? i seem to remember a 300th anniv 288 that had rubber mounts.

Do these springs seem to break more than tte newer saws?? I would think that springs would be superior over rubber for reducing vibes...:confused:

as that's what all the pro-series saws have now...

Is the spring breakage due to the small size of the spring? trying to squeeze a spring into where a rubber AV mount was before??

Your comment about the spike spring...is that SUPPOSED to be there even on a 288 lite?? I'm missing the one for this saw, and there is evidence of it having been there, but for $300, i'm not comlaining :D.... it's pretty clean :D

How can I tell if a spring is broken without disassembling the saw? (can't see too much of the mount. :angry: )

Its a older design saw. It ain't gonna have the antivib that todays saws have. Mine has a good bit of vibs. Nothing that I can't live without though. If its too bad look into changing out for some new mounts.

It is an older design, yes, I agree, and am aware... but so isn't the 268/272 and 262 saws..and they are NO WHERE near this bad. it was shaking while running worse than my Jonsered 801, or Mac 790.

a little vibe doesn't bother me... Let's you know the saw is still there!! :D
It just seemed excessive.

Any newer husky should have less vibes than an O66...so i've heard :D :spam:

Jay

I have never heard of a 288lite with a spike spring.

I'm really not sure how to check the AV with out takeing the gas tank/handle off the crank case. Sorry.

The large front spring was never on the Lite model. (That's one of the changes that were made to lighten it up) Deco appeared before the Lite model.

Spring mounts can break, and the rubber mounts can rot over time due to long term contact with gas and oil. The three that I own are all spring mount, so I can't really say if one or the other is better for AV.

288's are not as smooth as newer saws, but if yours is as bad as you describe, then you may have a flywheel or clutch problem.

I have a 288xp lite. It is far from lite! But as for vibes it is the smoothest saw I have ever used! Now granted I have not used any of the brand new pro saws but it sure is alot smoother than my dolmar ps-510 was. Not to insult but how is your bar and chain as they will sometimes cause unwanted vibes?

And as for mounts mine has the rubber mounts and they are all only a couple months old.

I have a 288xp lite. It is far from lite! But as for vibes it is the smoothest saw I have ever used! Now granted I have not used any of the brand new pro saws but it sure is alot smoother than my dolmar ps-510 was. Not to insult but how is your bar and chain as they will sometimes cause unwanted vibes?

And as for mounts mine has the rubber mounts and they are all only a couple months old.

Well,

as I said, the saw is 'new to me'... the bar is fairly recent, no burs, and straight...the chain is on it's 1st sharpen/ like new Oregon 73LGX.

clutch/flywheel....hmmm. I shall have to look!!

J

If you have broken mounts then the handle assembly will bottom out and you will feel the vibes.

In theory, it is about .4 or .5 lbs lighter than the regular version, so there need to be a bit more difference than the missing front AV mount? :confused:

Latest posts

Back