3/8 Full Chisel Chain, 16"Bar on a 024 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i have several 3/8 chains and a Stihl Duromatic Bar in my Garage.
Has my 024 with "tuned Muffler" enough power to manage it?
Anyone done it before?
I want to know because I have no wood & possibility to cut in the moment to test it....
Thx
Camel

Sure, it should work fine. I had a stock 024 years ago, and ran either a 16" or maybe even an 18". I can't remember, but you should have no problem if the saw runs well.

I think it will handle it. Just let the saw do the cutting and keep the rpms high, since that saw does not have much torque

Originally posted by HUSKYMAN
I think it will handle it. Just let the saw do the cutting and keep the rpms high, since that saw does not have much torque

I may very well be looking at the past with rose-colored glasses, but I have nothing but fond memories of my 024. It was my 'go to' saw for bigger cuts aloft that my Super25DA couldn't handle and for almost all my groundwork. I seem to remember it having equal torque to my current 026, but like I said my perception could be distorted.

(I'm dating myself with the 'Super25DA' comment, aren't I?)

and the sprocket?

thx so far.....but.....what is with the sprocket?
Is it possible to buy one for 3/8 chains?
I remember, the original is 325.....
Fits the sprocket from a 036? Is it the same diameter?
.....i have several from a 036 in my locker too...
thx
C.

You must convert to a rim sprocket system to run 3/8 chain on an 026 (at least with original Stihl sprockets). If your serial number is before X25 809073 then you need part number 1121-007-1035 if after you need part number 1121-007-1041. To run .325 again you can swap back to your spur sprocket or buy a .325 rim p/n 000-642-1236 for 7 tooth or p/n 000-642-1234 for 8 tooth.

oh man....am i silly

Thx sedanman, I ordered today the Rim-Sprocket from Oregon.
I am to silly......simpel Idea...Sprocket from the 024, rim from the 036....
Thx a lot
C.

careful with the duramatic bar. it will take up alot fo power compared to the rollomatic bar. also the full chisel chain takes up more power also. but enough power? who can every have enough power- not me;)

ok,ace....i thought on this aspect.......if i convert to 3/8 i have a good rolomatic bar....
Thx

it will pull it, but slowly. Im not that convinced that a solidnose bar requires all that much more power.

Tried a 3/8 full chisle RS33 out with an 026/260 this weekend. and had no problem with ether the 16 inch or 20 inch bar in 12" dry softwood, not sure about smaller hardwood but I would expect that there would be enough power. Note both muffler and chain were tweeked for best results.

~12" red pine.

New Stock 260 7T sprocket with out of box .325 RS chain 16" Stihl bar
average 7-8 seconds

New muffler modified 260 7T sprocket with out of box .325 RS chain 16" Stihl bar
average 6 seconds

New muffler modified 260 7T sprocket with retouched 3/8 RS chain 16" Oregon bar
average 5-6 seconds

New muffler modified 260 7T sprocket with slightly dull 3/8 RS chain 20" Stihl bar
average 6-7 seconds

Just for compairison
Newish 066 with limited muffler mod 8T sprocket, slightly dull 3/8 RS on a 20 inch Stihl bar
average 3-4 seconds

Same 066 with 16" oregon bar and sharp retouched 3/8 RS chain
about 2.5 seconds

This was from memory,times were counted rather roughly on wood that was a bit inconsistant, How ever some facts were obvious,

1 Moding the muffler on the 026/260 was good for a 15-20% gain
in cutting speed.

2 The 026/260 did not have any trouble with the 16" or 20" bars and 3/8 chain on 12" soft woods

3 there did not seem to be a big diference in cutting speed between the .325 chain and the 3/8 chain, likly the factors involved set each other off. Sharpening, tuning and tecnique would likely make more difference.

4 the 066 is rather impressive with a short 16" bar and a sharp chain

It's not scientific data and it's with the 026 not the 024 but maybe it'l help.

Timberwolf

Back