346 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wanting to make some muffler modifications on my 346. Is 1 1/16" too big of an opening for this size saw? What about on a smaller 3450 Echo? I took the baffle out of the Echo, thought I noticed a small gain. Would porting it help more?. Thanks - Eric

Make two smaller holes instead of one big one. A pair of 3/8" should be plenty. If you want it really loud go 7/16 or 1/2" but dont go overboard

Probably not, since you are dealing with a 46cc saw. On a 100cc saw maybe. Thats why I would do a pair of 7/16 probably and leave it at that

I just did a 346 muffler. What I did was mill a 3/8" x 3/4" slot through the muffler bracket and the muffler. I will put a spark arrestor in it as soon as I get them from Dennis. This simple mod. seems to make a difference in the saws performance. It is a little louder but not that bad.

Jeff

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask...as far as spark arrestors go, I know some do and some don't use them. I'm not worried about the fire hazard, but I do worry about debris getting in the muffler. What are the chances of debris getting in and if it does what are the chances it will do any damage? If it's not too heavy, won't it just be blown out?:confused:

Jeff

Debris can definitely get hung up in a muffler, and with the heat etc, there is a very high chance that it can take fire once it dries out enough. A saw doesn't always run, and it is during these times that you can end up with some treats in the holes/slots. A little stone that makes it's way back to the chamber can do some nasty things when you give the saw a good pull.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth. Bear in mind that it's 2 cents Canadian :D

Sounds like Huskyman, and Yukon have you on the right track though.

Artwood I think you are over analyzing this a little. You are not designing a pipe for a hotsaw contest, you are opening the muffler to let it breath. Cut the holes about 2/3 the way up the muffler and saw away;)

As far as debris goes I am sure it would be very easy for something to get in the huge 5/8 ports on mine. But hell, living with the risk gets my adrenaline pumpin:D

You guys can tell I live right on the edge

Actually, I am running these saws in chainsaw carving competition. Since we're all running about the same saws, a little edge in the power dept. couldn't hurt. But really it's more how you handle it than the power.

Latest posts

Back