.404 or .375?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked up a 36" bar for one of my 066's today.

I have always ran .375 pitch chain cept on little 20" bar i ran .404 for a day or 2 once.

This was a .375 pitch bar so I made up a semi skip stihl RS chain and went back out cutting.. First guy I ran into said I would hate it. He said that I need .404 on the long bar so it will stay in the bar rails.
I never had the chain come off in the tree I used it on.
I talked to him later and he said the .404 has a longer drive link than the .375 and is shorter.

Is he nuts? or am I just fortunate?

Also saw my first Stihl BLK today... Craig Walker, the stihl rep brought us 35 saws today and brought his BLK along.. Neat piece of history.
Also brought a sand cast Contra and a regular Contra. .both neat saws.

If you have a choice of 3/8 or .404 with that 36 inch bar, it's a hard nose right?

Guys are running 3/8 around here on 066s. I don't sell hardly any .404.

Hardly anyone runs hard nose bars on these newer high speed saws.

Any .404 I have ever used sucked. It should be noted that I have never used any that I have sharpened. Stick the what works, the 3/8

.404 sucks

Why does .404 suck?
When you go to a larger chain you need more power, right?
Does a larger chain have more surface area it cuts out?
Should a larger chain last longer since it have more material?
Why does a hot saw and harvester use larger chain?
Based on my experience a 3/8 chain will cut a 18 inch log easier than a .404 chain but how about a 3 foot log using a 36 inch bar?
Huskyman, have you ever used Stihl .404 chain?

If memory serves me right I am using 46 RSLF from Stihl on a 36 inch bar attached to an 066.

It is full skip Rapid Super Square Chisel designed for hard frozen wood.

I think this is a great topic.

I am no expert at this and listen to several people who talk on this site plus a Saw sales rep and a couple of forestry fire fighters who setup my saws for going out and trail trimming up in the forest. They set me up with 404 chain.

Should I go to .375 chain since it cuts less materail thus allowing the saw to operate easier in the power band?

The amazing Los Angeles area

it is amazing to live six miles from the beach and the water temperature is around 60F then drive an hour and be at 7 thousand feet.

So around thanksgiving we take the kids to the beach to see the butterly migration and then up to the snow a hour or two away.
(depends if I need tire chains)

Works wonders for carb adjustments.

Would you like pictures?

Pictures

Hi Don, we all seem to like pictures, no matter what the subject. Around here, Northeast, seems like .404 is a dying breed, I`ve heard similar remarks from a few friends in the mid US. I`d be curious to know how a .404 chain would fair against a .375 on your saw with the same bar length, I think you might find the .375 marginally faster but it wouldn`t be worth refitting your saw for it. Russ

a picture of you smiling...

Loosen up Don, just a little fun. I cut frozen hardwood all winter long, full comp, round chisel, .375 pitch. Maybe I should get some special full skip with little rubber booties on the cutters for the spring time when all that frozen wood thaws.;)

I find that me and alot of other loggers here in the Northeast are starting to run more and more .375" instead of the .404",I don't even think my local saw shop carries .404" chain anymore there just is'nt enough demand for it anymore.

Later Rob...

I understand your angle Newfie

I just don't want to end up with a reputation like Gypo, ya know?

I wonder why the .404 is not selling much. Sure does last longer compared to a 3/8 chain.
At least it does for me.

"reputation like Gypo"

Uh Don, what does that mean? Gypo is quite an entertainer isn`t he. I generally enjoy his "tales" of his wild an woolly exploits, well except the girls, roll play was never my bag. Hey how `bout that NASDAQ, I got some stuff running in another window and it`s not making me smile. :angry: Sorry about the "off topic" just thinking through my finger tips. Russ

Gypo's reputation

I didn't say what "kind" of reputation Gypo has on this site.
maybe one day I'll grow up to be kind of like him!
Oh boy the Nasdaq, ... well 10 or so years without a recession , and I guess the piper is really playing the tune, eh?

Hey JimL...
Off topic but were you close to the tornados that went through central Indiana???

jeff

Originally posted by jsikkema1
Hey JimL...
Off topic but were you close to the tornados that went through central Indiana???

jeff

Lets just say theres flattened houses 100 yards from my house. Been working my behind off trying to get ???? cleared :D

Re: I understand your angle Newfie

Originally posted by don
I just don't want to end up with a reputation like Gypo, ya know?

I wonder why the .404 is not selling much. Sure does last longer compared to a 3/8 chain.
At least it does for me.

I just think it is too "grabby" and rough as hell. As I stated above I did not file the chain myself so it could have been better, but 3/8 is so nice and can be used on saws from 55cc to 125cc, there is not much point to using .404 around here. Probably works great out west in softwoods, but on maple and locust it sucks.

If you have too much power for 3/8, just change to a bigger sprocket and speed her up:D

I agree

99% of the time it is Pine annd I agree ... it cuts rough .

I ordered a 7T 3/8 sprocket and a bar to see what it does.
Maybe I should have done 8T ... anyway what chain to use ?

Latest posts

Back