7/32, or, 13/64 for Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener? ( 3/8 )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucksta

What could possibly go wrong??
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I decided to replace the files in my Stihl 3/8, 2 in 1 sharpener with new Stihl files. To my knowledge, you use a 7/32 file for 3/8 chain, right? I do own some 13/64 files, but they are for hand filing .325 chain, or hand filing the second half of 3/8 chain that is very used. So, having a slight case of OCD, I look up the metric equivalents for Metric to fractional inch..
7/32 = 5.5563 MM.
13/64 = 5.1594 MM.

Stihl sharpener calls for the 13/64 ( 5.2 MM.)

Is the 13/64 size meant just for Stihl chain, and I should use 7/32 on other brands?

As far as I can tell the different sizes would change the hook in the cutter. So, if the chain has been sharpened with a 2 in 1, should it always be sharpened with it?

How much would it matter to switch back and forth between the 2 sizes?

Any input would be appreciated.

Stihl uses 13/64 on 3/8 chain while husky and oregon use 7/32, I think they do it just to be different.
With the stihl 2 in 1 holding the file at the proper height on the cutter the slightly smaller 13/64 is just fine on all 3/8 chain.
You could still use the 7/32 to free hand file after using the 2 in 1, it wont hurt a thing but it maybe easier to stick with the 13/64.

Stihl uses 13/64 on 3/8 chain while husky and oregon use 7/32, I think they do it just to be different.
With the stihl 2 in 1 holding the file at the proper height on the cutter the slightly smaller 13/64 is just fine on all 3/8 chain.
You could still use the 7/32 to free hand file after using the 2 in 1, it wont hurt a thing but it maybe easier to stick with the 13/64.
Thanks! That sorta makes .... " just to be different".
I looked closer after I posted, and the only thing that I found was that the 1/64 difference would change the "hook", of the cutter.

Are Stihl and, let's say Oregon cutters, identical, or just similar?

Fine then :) I'll park my OCD, and let it go as " It's a Stihl thing ".

I spent about 90 minutes last night, with a micrometer, measuring and labeling all my used files, and unused new ones. Fractional inch size, Metric MM size, Metric actual conversion of fractional inch, and last but not least, the actual MM measurement from the micrometer. And yes, actual diameter varies from one manufacturer to another.

Thanks for the help..

Now if I could just get some Meds for the OCD... :cool:

Back