Actual weight of a Husqvarna 555 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lumbarleft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have always been a strong sponsor of truth in advertising. In case anyone is interested, I just put a brand new Husqvarna 555 powerhead that had never been gassed or oiled onto my electronic scale. First I tested the scale with a 10 pound test weight that was authorized for commerce on a scale that my grandfather had in the day. The weight registered 10.01 pounds. Next, the powerhead was positioned, tested, repositioned and tested again. Both readings were identical. The powerhead weighs 12.64 pounds.

I also weighed a Husqvarna 550 XP brand new and empty. It weighed 10.98 pounds. They say every manufacturer fudges the numbers a little. I weighed a Stihl MS-362 and it came in at 13.01 pounds. The Stihl MS-250 came in at 10.1 pounds. Echo CS-400 came in at 10.1 pounds, all the last mentioned saws were pretty much right on the dime according to their advertisements. Then there is EFCO - ugh! They are totally outrageous - believe nothing of what they report on weight. For example, the Efco 152 is supposed to be 10.7 pounds. It weighs 12.0 pounds. It is still a good saw, built like a tank! I just wish the manufacturers could afford an accurate scale - ha! Of all the saws I weighed, Redmax was the most honest in just about every unit I weighed with exception of the GT3500T which fibbed by .5 pounds. To some this will be interesting, and from others I will be awarded the coveted BURP! Ha. Thanks for reading.

PHO weight is a useless number, cant remember the last time I ran a saw with out fuel mix, bar oil and a bar and chain.

Oh I just remembered, ran my sons Husky last weekend, but even it was loaded with 3 AA batteries.

One thing I failed to site in the original post was that the H555 is advertised at 12.35 pounds (actual 12.64) and the H550XP is advertised at 10.8 pounds (actual 10.98). Those differences are not outrageous compared to some other manufacturers. One more saw that I weighed was the Husqvarna 372XP which is advertised at 13.4 lbs. It actually weighs 14.1 pounds, but that is with the new Strato Engine. They never changed the advertised weight. The Efco 156 is advertised at 12.1 pounds and is actually 13.0 pounds. Manufacturers know that weight does make a difference in some purchase situations. They never make a mistake and advertise a saw as being heavier than it really is.

They should just spec "Less than 1 stone".

Every scale In the world is going to read a little diffent . I don't understand what your geting at here . yes there few 10ths off . what's that going to do sir . the things going to be diffent weight when u put diffent amount of bar oil and gas every time u fill it . its a saw it cuts wood .

LOL, when i read the first post and saw the mention of the 362 i said to myself "i wonder how many posts til i get to a magical 044 mike post" :lol: took you 4.5 hours mike. your slip'n, i could be slamming the 044 in a thread and you wouldn't be there to back it up in time. ;)

PHO weight is a useless number, cant remember the last time I ran a saw with out fuel mix, bar oil and a bar and chain.

Oh I just remembered, ran my sons Husky last weekend, but even it was loaded with 3 AA batteries.

Fully loaded is far more useless. You can not compare it to other stated weights from the manufacturer. You can not compare it to other saws. You have no idea how much fuel or oil is truly in the powerhead, because we haven't tested to see if the factory stated amounts for oil and fuel capacity are correct, and you must trust the person to have filled it exactly to those limits. And every one uses different bars and chains.

PHO is the only way to get consistent, usable weights for saw comparisons.

Good info on the weights. PHO is the best way to compare ...

We need to see photos. Yes, they can be fudged, but we compare them to other photos that we have in the unofficial chainsaw weight thread and our chainsaw weight gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/unofficial_chainsaw_weight_gallery

154935607.2Ke9XIDe.555image.jpg

Every scale In the world is going to read a little diffent . I don't understand what your geting at here . yes there few 10ths off . what's that going to do sir . the things going to be diffent weight when u put diffent amount of bar oil and gas every time u fill it . its a saw it cuts wood .

Exactly. We don't need to see how much fuel is available for a fusion reactor. We just need an idea of the actual weights plus or minus and ounce or two.

We need to see photos. Yes, they can be fudged, but we compare them to other photos that we have in the unofficial chainsaw weight thread and our chainsaw weight gallery.
I can't be sure what that weight is, the original poster seems to do weight in decimal, I think your picture, at least the one you put with the above post is in pounds and ounces. That is 12.48 as opposed to his 12.64. Anything can be falsified. Like asked above what model variant should be noted if one is going to make posts of this nature.

Mike has seen that before, but won't be happy until he sees the 362 is lighter. He seems obsessed with the comparison.

It is the only weights that are useful for comparisons, as fluids, bars and chain introduse a lot of variables. ;)

Dawgs should be removed as well, as that is another variable - although mostly a small one. They are not supposed to be included in specs.

Mike has seen that before, but won't be happy until he sees the 362 is lighter. He seems obsessed with the comparison.
You guys seem obsessed with Mike...... Bwaaahaaahaaa...... everytime he posts something, the same cronies in the stroke each other club jump all over his azz because they can't stand an opposing view.... cracks me up how they fall for it EVERY time...... Bwaaahaaahaaa........

The 562xp usually weights right at 12.8 lbs, which is consistent with Euro specs (the US ones have varied some).

The most reliable (unbiased) result I have seen on the MS362 is 13.2 lbs.
Yup, sounds about right...... and if you cant heft that extra 1/3 of a pound around or it greatly impacts your ability to run the saw all day..... Oh my gosh my arms are sore....... then maybe people should talk to their girlfriends or wives about doing some excercises.... maybe start with Kegels...... haaahaaa, that'l firm things up......:laugh:

Thanks Troll, not enough weight difference for me to get excited about.

I would expect the Husky to handle a bit "quicker" due to its mass centralization about the longitudinal axis of the bar centerline.

For all you Stihl lovers out there note that I said "quicker" not better. Just like in motorcycles some people like responsive quick handling and others like more stability. Choice is good.

The weight differense itself isn't very important, but it comes on top of the fact that the Husky is a much more well-handling and nimble design. For blocking logs in the yard it doesn't matter much, but it certainly does in the woods!

Back