adjusting carburetor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been rebuilding an 066 and the carburetor is way out of adjustment.

To reset the carb to "0" or the basic setting using the "H" "L" and "LA" screws do I do the following, or is there a better way?

Turn the "H" screw CounterClockwise until it stops and and then back 3/4 turn?

Turn the "L" screw Clockwise until it stops and then 1/4 turn back?

Turn the "LA" screw clockwise until stop and then back 1 turn? Adjust once running to where chain doesn't run?

The saw starts but the won't stay running right now:mad:. Seems to be running lean because as long as it is at cold start position it will go and then run fast a couple seconds and quit. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Tom

If it's lean, richen it up.
Starting point for the low end screw should be 1-1 1/4 turns. 1/4 turn on the low end screw is way too lean. Get it to where you can keep it running and adjust from there.

Yes.
The jet screws are like screw valves for the gas. The further out they are, the more gas can flow through. Any reference to # of turns means # of turns out from bottom.

What is confusing me is that the manual has you turn one clockwise to stop and one counterclockwise to stop. That's what I guess has been throwing me off.

They should all be right hand threads, unless Stihl did something totally unique on that one saw. Perhaps it was a misprint. Clockwise should bottom out, counterclockwise should remove the screw unless one is left hand threads.

Latest posts

Back