American Made Hand Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly my thoughts. I am no mechanic, but over the years I have done a few things you are not supposed to do, like using pipes on ratchets. I am pretty strong, so the lady told me when the compensation board tested me once. Anyways, me, just yarding on pipes that extend the handle of Craftsmen and Proto ratchets quite a bit hasn't broken them. Mind you, they are old tools, I picked up most of my hand tools up at garage sales and flea markets. I love it, people selling nice stuff, Snap-on, Gray, Proto, SK, etc for cheap cause they don't want it anymore. I have seen newer Craftsmen ratchets, they seem kind of coarse and cheaper made than the ones I have. Race to the bottom it is, whats that saying about the high price being forgotten after years of good use?
I see you mention Grey, made in Canada I hope! Grey made some very good tools back in the day, Being a heavy duty Mechanic[ work on Trains] I find my old Grey 3/4 drive socket set the best I have ever used.When I was a little kid I would spend my money on cheap made in China tools at Home Town, Canadians will remember Home Town. I was around 8 years old and my dad had enough of me breaking and complaining about the cheap tools I was using to fix my bike.
So he gave my a complete set of Metric Wrenches form the old Country,Germany.Gedore wrenches and some others I can't remember the Name of, have to go out to the shop and check. Gedore also has factories in India and Brazil. The ones I have were made around the mid 1930s. They are not Chrome but blued.I even have a large selection of Wit worth socket sizes those crazy Brits always have to be different driving on the wrong side of the road.

Last edited:
Now, Ive got some old craftsman that was my Grandfathers, and those tools are just about bulletproof. Ive got a 1/2" drive ratchet that I think If I broke it, Id have sears by the balls because they couldnt replace it with anything that is comparable in their current offering.:dizzy:

But the newer craftsman ratchets, wrenches, pliers....eh, over priced trash imho.

Ive got a little pipe I use if need be, only about 6" long, but usually the ratchet has broken already. The worst is when you are putting on your weight on a ratchet and the action breaks and you jar your whole body. That is when the ratchet goes airborn.:censored: :censored:

B-man

American made work boots by Thorogood- American Heritage $99. Parent company is Weinbrenner. I just ordered mine up, and a lot less expensive than my Danners.

I've found they (foreign open end wrenches and sockets) round off nuts too often for my liking (friends tools). Also using the correct tool for the job is important. Leaning on a piped 3/8 rachet is bound to give somewhere-and probably not the pipe! Also contacting the manufacturer of your tool product is important, to me at least. I was missing a part off my Lincoln 2 ton floor jack, and the part was at my house in 2 days, for free. Things like that matter, and makes my life easier, as the tool is ready for the next usage, whether it's in 6 days or 6 months.

Now, Ive got some old craftsman that was my Grandfathers, and those tools are just about bulletproof. Ive got a 1/2" drive ratchet that I think If I broke it, Id have sears by the balls because they couldn't replace it with anything that is comparable in their current offering.:dizzy:

But the newer craftsman ratchets, wrenches, pliers....eh, over priced trash IMHO.

Ive got a little pipe I use if need be, only about 6" long, but usually the ratchet has broken already. The worst is when you are putting on your weight on a ratchet and the action breaks and you jar your whole body. That is when the ratchet goes airborne.:censored: :censored:

1/2" flex handle about 18" long. Pull grasshopper; no jolt to the body; and fewer barked knuckles. Zero broken tools. Once loose time for ratchet.

I know the flex handle is clear across the garage and the pipe is closer. How do you spell lazy? Dumb? Look at total time invested including time and gas for replacement tool. Did you really save anything? Red won't be working in my garage!

I can get by with cheap sockets, but I've got to have a good ratchet. Cheap just doesn't cut it. One of the most obvious indicators of quality is how far you have to move the handle to catch the next ratchet tooth. Good ratchets have fine teeth, and they switch between forward and backwards easily.

When I was younger and overly enthusiastic, I busted a lot of tools. As I've gotten older, I've improved my techniques to where nothing breaks. If a bolt is frozen, it gets loosened up before I torque on it, whether that's by pb blaster or a blow torch.

If I have a big tough bolt, I use a long bar. I keep one hand on the back of the ratchet and usually have a short extension. The hand on the back of the ratchet keeps my force perpendicular and prevents stripping of the bolt head or excessive strain on the tools.

If you break a lot of tools, you're doing something wrong.

I can get by with cheap sockets, but I've got to have a good ratchet. Cheap just doesn't cut it. One of the most obvious indicators of quality is how far you have to move the handle to catch the next ratchet tooth. Good ratchets have fine teeth, and they switch between forward and backwards easily.

When I was younger and overly enthusiastic, I busted a lot of tools. As I've gotten older, I've improved my techniques to where nothing breaks. If a bolt is frozen, it gets loosened up before I torque on it, whether that's by pb blaster or a blow torch.

If I have a big tough bolt, I use a long bar. I keep one hand on the back of the ratchet and usually have a short extension. The hand on the back of the ratchet keeps my force perpendicular and prevents stripping of the bolt head or excessive strain on the tools.

If you break a lot of tools, you're doing something wrong.

Good ratchets will come in both fine and coarse tooth configurations. Usually, the coarse tooth will take more torque because the teeth are bigger. I prefer to have both and use according to the application. For sockets, get some 6 pt as they will cover 95% of anything you ever want to do and you'll seldom round a bolt. 12 pt sockets are a waste of time unless you're in really tight quarters or tightening the 4 center intake manifold bolts on a small block Chevy. I replace those with caps anyway :)

Even though I have about every socket Sears sold from 12 years ago, no joke, the 3/8" sockets I use the most are SK 6 pt, shallow and deep, metric and standard, all in a nice blow molded plastic case. There's even extra room in the case to throw in a wobbly.

Lie Nielsen Tools

One of the best non Stihl vs Husky :clap: threads...ever.:clap: :clap:

For the tool geek wanting quality, beauty, durability check out the brass wood planes made by Lie Nielsen here (< lie-nielsen.com >). It's a niche market demanding high end machinists and craftsmen from Maine.

Good thread

I see several others like SK tools. I find that they are good quality at a decent price.

I have many Klein hand tools and find them to be top notch. I have a pair of Klein sidecutters that belonged to my dad. They have to be at least 50 years old. Probably the second most used tool I have.

My favorite and most used tool is my "alligator" pliers from Knipex. I also like their "cobra" pliers. They both give an unbelievable grip.

Carry on,

Joat

Most my tools consist of Craftsman, Klein, and SK. I dont loan them to anyone. Then I have a bunch of Asian cheap junk that I loan to select few. I love older Craftsman stuff. I wish they hadnt introduced plastic into their ratchets.:mad:

Most my tools consist of Craftsman, Klein, and SK. I dont loan them to anyone. Then I have a bunch of Asian cheap junk that I loan to select few. I love older Craftsman stuff. I wish they hadnt introduced plastic into their ratchets.:mad:

I didn't know they had plastic now. I think most of my Craftsman ratchets are old enough they have a grease fitting on them.

If they got plastic now, I'll be skipping them in the future. (If I break what I have)

I have many Klein hand tools and find them to be top notch. I have a pair of Klein sidecutters that belonged to my dad. They have to be at least 50 years old. Probably the second most used tool I have.

Kleins are excellent. I also have a pair of their linemans pliers I bought about 12 years ago. I paid around $35 for them then, but the leverage they give you and the quality is unmistakable. They're not cheap, but they're by far the best tools I've used.

I've noticed a marked decline in the quality of Craftsman tools, particularly their screwdrivers. I had a Craftsman screwdriver I found several years ago, and it worked excellently. It was really tough. I went and purchased a new set that looked just like the one I'd found, and it was not even in the same ballpark. The steel was soft, and they wore out very quickly. I was highly disappointed.

The best thing Craftsman has going on their toolsets are their availability and variety. Also, Sears regularly runs good sales.

Last edited:
Good ratchets will come in both fine and coarse tooth configurations. Usually, the coarse tooth will take more torque because the teeth are bigger. I prefer to have both and use according to the application. For sockets, get some 6 pt as they will cover 95% of anything you ever want to do and you'll seldom round a bolt. 12 pt sockets are a waste of time unless you're in really tight quarters or tightening the 4 center intake manifold bolts on a small block Chevy. I replace those with caps anyway :)

Even though I have about every socket Sears sold from 12 years ago, no joke, the 3/8" sockets I use the most are SK 6 pt, shallow and deep, metric and standard, all in a nice blow molded plastic case. There's even extra room in the case to throw in a wobbly.

I wasn't aware of that. I guess I should have said that the course geared one's I have used have all been cheap, and the fine geared ones have been good. :cheers:

With everyone talking about all the nice tools they have, does anyone have a list of all the tools for insurance purposes. My girl friend sells insurance and has been telling me to make a list and take pictures of the stuff I have. I have two OTC 24" adjustable wrenches that would take $400 to replace. It adds up fast. I will admit I bent a 3/4 drive breaker bar(craftsman), 4 foot of pipe and 230 lbs. trying to break lose the dual wheel bolts on an IH 1586 tractor. You get that nice pop when they come loose and tingling hands for a little while.

With everyone talking about all the nice tools they have, does anyone have a list of all the tools for insurance purposes. My girl friend sells insurance and has been telling me to make a list and take pictures of the stuff I have. I have two OTC 24" adjustable wrenches that would take $400 to replace. It adds up fast. I will admit I bent a 3/4 drive breaker bar(craftsman), 4 foot of pipe and 230 lbs. trying to break lose the dual wheel bolts on an IH 1586 tractor. You get that nice pop when they come loose and tingling hands for a little while.

I took photo's of everything. The cd is in my desk drawer at work.

I wasn't aware of that. I guess I should have said that the course geared one's I have used have all been cheap, and the fine geared ones have been good. :cheers:

Here you go Space. SK socket set.

attachment.php

but it's a coarse tooth ratchet. This set is the 75th Anniversary so it's about 11 years old and I haven't broken anything yet.

attachment.php

World's best needle nose pliers. They cost the better part of $30 but there really is a difference:

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back