Any old Pioneer experts out there? Got a hard starting saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sting

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello again everyone... BTW - thanks to everyone who posted to my two previous topics... *MUCH* appreciated...

However, this post concerns my Pioneer 3270. Its a great saw... once I can get it running, but she is one B!@#$ to start. My dad even said that when it was new, she was a hard start. Right now, I'm mixing 16:1, as it should be, and once it runs, She'll work all day. I hit the primer a few times, and lately have sprayed in some Ether to get her going, but I know the saw *SHOULD* start without it. How can I cure this hard start? Suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Yeah it should start way easier than that. Sounds like its time for a carb kit. It will have a Tillotson HS carb on it. Also disassemble the primer clean it and replace all the rubber lines. There is a filter in the tank and one in the primer that will need cleaned or replaced. Also clean the reed valve and make new gaskets for it. I dont know if you can still get gaskets for these.

Sounds like you main problem is that it isnt getting enough fuel to the carb to start up. This should cure that problem.

I assume, by carb kit, that I should replace the carb??? I ask because, I'm not as skilled with small engines... I am going to get my friend to help me with this... he and his father are taking apart small engines all the time.

The ubiquitous "carb kit" is a little kit of replacement gaskets and diaphragms, sometimes including new needle valves and welch plugs. You take out the old ones, clean the carb, then put in what the kit provides. Cost should run in the $6-11 range.

The rubber/fabric parts in diaphragm carbs stiffen with age and disuse. Any saw more than a few years old should have a kit put in. It'll solve probably 80% of chainsaw fuel problems.

Back