Anything special about Stihl starter rope & lube?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnieTrk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Fellas,
I need some advice/guidance please. :help: :bowdown:

The starter rope in my Stihl MS250 broke this evening.
Is there anything special about this rope or would any equivalent-sized nylon rope do the job the same as the dealer-issued starter rope? :confused:

The saw manual also mentions that I need to lube the rope rotor bearing bore with resin-free grease, "Stihl special lubricant" #0781-417-1315.
Is this REALLY special lube or would some silicone grease work just as well? :confused:
Thanks in advance for any and all input, Guys! :cheers:
BarnieTrk :biggrinbounce2:

I tried one time with some "non Stihl" rope, but it wore out much quicker than the Stihl rope.

i would just get some rope from the dealer :)

on the lube, im not shure but the starter assembly on my 025 hasnt had any extra lube applyed in it's 18 years of use, and it is still working perfectly.
i don't know about the newer ones though.

rip cord material

I have moved to using a rock climbers utility cord I get from an outdoor shop that sells climbing gear. It is just a little thinner then the oem (4mm I think), but I get to put a bit more on the saw. It is super strong, rated at 300 working pounds and 809 lbf tensile strength 809 lbf.

http://www.rei.com/product/729595

Not saying this is the best option, but it has worked out very well for me. I do a lot of trail work, and hiking in with a saw to only have the cord break is not very productive. Since I have changed to this cord, I have had zero cord failures.

Wade

I have moved to using a rock climbers utility cord I get from an outdoor shop that sells climbing gear. It is just a little thinner then the oem (4mm I think), but I get to put a bit more on the saw. ... Since I have changed to this cord, I have had zero cord failures.

Wade

I used the same rope for my Echo. Same results as Wade. Actually, I bought the rope at the LCS (local chainsaw shop), 3 meters of the thing cost me like 1 USD.

I have gone to all elastic type Stihl cords in my saws! I love them on the 090's!!
Careful with the sizing! If the rope binds or over laps, the were and possible after effects of a binding recoil rope can be less then desirable!!!

As for the lubricant, I have never put any lube on them(or the parts!) me spilling bar oil and gas on them seems to be working just fine! LOL.
Actually I am unsure of the lube part. I have used greaseless lube on the rotor shaft hole. But am unsure that even helped?

Thanks fellas for sharing your experience and advice! :cheers:
It looks like I've got some options then....cool. :clap:
-- Happy Buzzin'!:biggrinbounce2:
BarnieTrk

<snip>
Is there anything special about this rope or would any equivalent-sized nylon rope do the job the same as the dealer-issued starter rope? :confused:
<snip>:

Yes, it is very important!!

It is an essential, nay key, part of the A$SD program (Accessory $$$ for Stihl Dealers).

My rope broke. Local dealer (a good one, that sells bars, plugs and chain for about the same prices as Bailey's) wanted $30 +tax w/ the handle, and did not just sell hanks of rope. Baileys wants $3 for the rope and $3 for the handle. I wold have paid $7/ for the combo, but $30???
I'm using 1/8" nylon rope now (which I always have laying around). I think I paid $4 for 50 feet, or about $0.25/meter, which is the length I needed.

FWIW, I've used good quality nylon rope from my local hardware store in all my small equip. for 25+ years & not had issues with it. We're talking everything from weedwhips to commercial lawn mowers here. As for the lube, I use synthetic brake caliper grease in the recoils, clutch brgs. etc. It maintains a constant viscosity at a wide temp range. -40F to 500F. Great stuff IMO. Get it @ your local auto parts store.

A C

I went to a Stihl dealer looking for about 20' of starter rope last month...

I asked what the price is and he says "a buck a foot." I didn't buy it. That is more expensive than climbing line!

I bought a spool of stens true blue off ebay for $30.... 15 cents a foot and a lifetime supply!

Just be careful that your not buying leech cord/sky bond/etc. Anything with a Kevlar core. It'll last forever, but instead of killing 40 cents of pull cord you'll screw up the brass bushing in the recoil housing.

Nylon is abrasive too. It'll burn through the bushing quicker than standard pull cord. Likely not quick enough that most would notice, but from a "troll" perspective (purely analytical), it's enough.

Latest posts

Back