Attempted Willow Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwrussell

Reaction score
I started a willow tree two years ago from a about a two foot cutting by putting it in a bucket of water, letting it root and then planting it in the yard. It started growing well and the main section is about eight foot tall with two low branches that are each about six feet tall.. Last year, it got a blemish on the main trunk which has slowly gotten worse. What I have now is an eight foot tall 3/4" trunk with multiple branches with a large, 3", section that doesn't look good and two sprouts just below the damaged area that are about six feet tall, each. I don't think I'll have a healthy tree if I leave it grow as is. Also, if I cut the main trunk off, I'll have a split tree with a center section that probably won't look nice.

What are my best options here?
  • Dig the whole thing up, cut off the main trunk above the blemish, start over and replant after growing a new root section?
  • Cut off the main trunk and grow the two branches as a V?
  • Cut off the two low branches and leave it grow?
  • Leave it alone and see how it grows?
I would not be opposed to having another, or two trees on the property so anything that I cut off, I will probably grow roots and plant.

---RWR

Willow Tree Trunk - Large.jpgWillow Tree - Large.jpg

I'd expect more growth than that over 2 years... it may not be getting what it needs to do well. The way they grow around here I'd probably chop the leader above the damage, & both branches, put them in water to root & then plant all 3 in the same area. Give it another year & choose the one you wish to keep & move/ remove the others.
You could also chop whats left of the original plant off at ground level & it will likely send new shoots up... let them develop a bit then pick the best one & remove the rest

Looks like a rabbit injury. I would pick one of the secondary shoots as my main leader and cut the other two off. Willows around here only grow in damp areas.

Back