auxilary oiler for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have recently picked up a stihl 066 and have been doing some squaring and slabing with an Alaskan mill. I am finding that getting enough oil to the bar to be a problem. with a 20" bar and the oiler cranked to max it is not too bad, but not nearly enough oil for the 32" bar.

What is recomended for auxilary oilers (available in Canada), as they dont appeare to be high tech (basically gravity feed with a control valve) can one be easy fassioned?

How do the manufactured oilers attach to the bar, I have herd of having to drill a small hole for the oil port?

New to the forum and enjoying the info.
Thanks

timberwolf

search the forum

Back out of this string and on the bottom right of the page showing all the discussions there is a space for you to type in saying search the forum. Using the words "milling oil" you find historical forums which specifcally discuss auxillary oilers.
The MILLING MASTERS website has the info and users referenced them on the discussion you will find on this search. Theyeven posted pictures of an auxillary oiler for your viewing pleasure!

G'day timberwolf,

Granberg do a good unit, doesnt cost that much. Available readily in Canada. You have to drill through the bar to attach the oiler tube, so whatever you do, dont drill faster than 80 rpm, or youll harden the bar so much, Superman wont be able to drill it for you!! You really do need an oiler for the longer bars.
Cheers
Charlie

Use a carbide center-drill or end-mill and drill/bore your oil hole at an angle toward the direction the chain travels 10 to 20 deg. Also DO NOT make the hole to large; the angle and size of the hole will allow the oil to keep flowing.

follow up

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go with the granberg oiler. I imagine you can get them through baileys? or is there somewhere else in Canada?

Makes sense though I would not have thought of it to drill the hole angled away from the chain movenent to take advantage of the venturie and keep the hole from plugging.

Thanks Timberwolf

Back