Best log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglogging

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What manufacturer makes the best splitter? Right now I'm very keen to the built rite hpw 11 and timber wolf tw6. Any thoughts on the subject?I know the built rite comes with a grate standard and an optional 10 way wedge and 5'' cylinder.
I'm kinda looking for a log splitter that will split an big round in one split.

Kinda like Stihl vs Husky, Chevy vs Ford, It's a personal preference. I have a speeco 35 ton, I really like it, is it the best made. Don't know and don't care. it does what I need it to do. Lots of good splitters out there, which is the best. the one you spend your hard earned money for regardless of what make..:popcorn:

What manufacturer makes the best splitter? Right now I'm very keen to the built rite hpw 11 and timber wolf tw6. Any thoughts on the subject?I know the built rite comes with a grate standard and an optional 10 way wedge and 5'' cylinder.
I'm kinda looking for a log splitter that will split an big round in one split.

Fiskars, but you might need to swing twice on the really big ones.

Splitter

Kinda like Stihl vs Husky, Chevy vs Ford, It's a personal preference. I have a speeco 35 ton, I really like it, is it the best made. Don't know and don't care. it does what I need it to do. Lots of good splitters out there, which is the best. the one you spend your hard earned money for regardless of what make..:popcorn:

I looked at the speeco website, and they only sell a machine with a 4 way wedge, if im not mistaken.Built rite makes a 10 way wedge, the speeco seems like a glorified husky splitter.

Not to be nosy

If we had a better idea as to your application and quantity of wood to be split per year it would help in suggesting a good fit machine.

That said, I run a T'Wolf TW2-HD, (stripped down TW-5 with 4 inch cylinder), with 4-way, table grate, and auto-cycle. I sell 50 cord per year as a one man show, and probably split 60 cord per year. I do on occasion stall the machine out with the 4-way mounted but 99% goes through on the first pass.

Another consideration is the size split you want to end up with. Large rounds on a 6-way take almost as long if not just as long as a 4-way if you need to resplit to a common stove size split.

If you have a good T'Wolf dealer in your area he should be able to get you a demo machine for a day. When I bought mine a few years ago, the dealer I worked with arranged a TW2-HD and a TW-5 for me to try in my processing area.

Take Care

I have the tw-6 with 4 and 6 way wedges...rarely use the 6 way. Mine is an older model so there are a few drips from the cylinder and I'll occasionally get a gnarly round stuck when I load it and don't pay attention. Would I buy one again? Sure. But if I won the Powerball and there was no price limit...oh who am I kidding, I'd pay someone else to do it.

How much does one of those cost? What wedge set up do you have?

I bought used for 2800 I think - then put a few hundred in it- new fluids etc etc - good as new ! It has a 4 way on it and my friend bought one with a 6 way so we kinda go back and forth depending on what wood we are splitting. It also has a table which is a must have.

I think they are about 8k new

Latest posts

Back