best time to sell a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwheat

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally got a free afternoon to rebuild my 044 and the sucker started on the first pull! As sweet as this baby sounds, I just don't need two big saws and I'm going to part with her.
So here's my question.... When is the best time of year to sell a saw? Should I advertise it now (either locally or eBay), or should I wait until fall when people are thinking about firewood? I'm expecting to get a good price based on the new top end, new handle and gas tank assembly, air filter, and an almost new 20" bar. Would you list it now, or wait?

After the first cold period of the fall.
Anticipation, or preceived future need can be as strong as the actual purchase need.

I just finished selling seven saws on Ebay. That included two re-conditioned 044 Stihls. I did not receive the prices that I had hoped for. One of the Huskys had a new piston, bar and chain. The parts alone were about $125 and the saw sold for $113.61! Therefore I would say this is not the time for getting top dollar for selling a chain saw. Mike

But you sure got a good price for your 028!!!

Originally posted by rupedoggy
I just finished selling seven saws on Ebay. That included two re-conditioned 044 Stihls. I did not receive the prices that I had hoped for. One of the Huskys had a new piston, bar and chain. The parts alone were about $125 and the saw sold for $113.61! Therefore I would say this is not the time for getting top dollar for selling a chain saw. Mike

Probably not exactly germaine to this thread, but has anybody figured ebay out yet...there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason lately, except when I'm interested the price goes out of orbit!

Two similar items, 2 weeks apart, same general condition, but one goes cheap, the other not, both weekend end dates. Similar items, similar condition, the one that ended on a Tuesday east coast lunch time went higher than a Sunday afternoon ending item.

I've noticed that people are starting to use ebay generalizations when pricing stuff...saw a moderately well-used Husky 268 at a yard sale recently, with a $400 tag on it...owner said he's seen plenty of them sell for that on ebay!

Spring or fall for running saws, fall or winter for project machines. At least that's what I've found. The closing prices of things on eBay boil down to who's looking. You might get two very interested people one week, and next week they might be on vacation.

One thing you need to keep in mind is price your item for the market. Like Eyolf said, people are using eBay prices outside eBay. The best example of that I've seen is vintage computers. A rare early Apple might go for $200 online to a Japanese collector, but Jimbo's yard sale has a different customer base.

Right now I'm selling an Allis 195/Poulan 306 that's gone through the roof. Up from $9.99 to $180 and it still has four days to go.

eyolf,

Not much knowledge about how the saws sell but I would imagine Tuesday at lunch time attracted much more bids because people were at work online as opposed to a Sunday afternoon where they might be out in th eyard, watching the game or away for the weekend. I do a lot of selling on eBay with Star Wars figures and can buy stuff at "off" times and resell it at a time I have found attracts the internantional collectors and sometimes make triple or quadruple what I paid. Last year I bought a collection of figures that ended in the middle of the superbowl. I missed a couple of plays and turned that into a $500 profit. I imagine the saw game is similar.

Selling on eBay

My experience would be to start at a low price and you get a different set of bidders low balling the price. No matter what price you sell it for include lots of clean no out of focus pictures. For a 044 I would have it close in the evening since people who would bid on it are likely out off the computer and in the field during the day light. It is a hit and miss. If you get two guys who are willing to out bid the other it gets kind of ridiculous. At others times it is like nooone is online. I wouldmake sure you emphasize new rebuilt, maybe new bar chain, throw in some oil . Include wording to the effect "Gauranteed to be 100% as desribed in the description and pictures or your money back"
Start it at a dollar for seven days. You might want to first list it with the reserve and but it now price the same so you can get an idea what they are willing to pay. The relist should be free if it sells the second time around. :blob2:

best time to sell is when no one else is selling

Best time to sell is when no one else is selling a 044 or similar
Remember the beer commercial ... this is the last one!

but thats an 028. i got two 1 super 1 woodboss. my grandkids will probably usum. gonna get a good pts saw tho.
no its not got what some saws can boast. but ive seenum run in maintenance conditions that would totally defeat a lot a saws. jmho have noticed its a buyers market for some good saws tho.
saw a used but solid sounding 288
husky go for 150 the other day.
i was hopeing that guy would find somethin wrong with the saw and leave it . but no luck.
by the way this guy that sells these, buys estates,and keeps a permanent booth at the flea.i also get a reciept
if i buy. guy hedges on giving a reciept ,dont buy. either hot or he dont want u to be able to find him later.

Last edited:
best time to sell saw

I think early fall would be the best time mainly cause nobody likes to work that hard in the heat of the summer.I also think e bay is better for the seller than the buyer because everyone on line bids against each other.I have seen items sell for more than retail several times.This is only my opinion for I have never sold on ebay.An 044 in good shape should bring a good price-a big name brand and a popular size.Good luck!

Back