Best way to brighten/polish plastic covers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHRed

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So just about got dad's 038magnum back together and the orange plastic covers are a sight. This old saw spent a lot of time in the back of his truck so they are very dull and sun faded. What 's the best way to slick them up short of buying a replacement? can i just use a buffer and some rubbing compound to shine them a bit?

Thanks

Joe

So just about got dad's 038magnum back together and the orange plastic covers are a sight. This old saw spent a lot of time in the back of his truck so they are very dull and sun faded. What 's the best way to slick them up short of buying a replacement? can i just use a buffer and some rubbing compound to shine them a bit?

Thanks

Joe

I tried NuFinish polish and no results. Hope somebody has something better.

Thanks

Joe
I just tried some headlight lens restorer and it failed too. I’m going to resort to the new spray paints made for plastic.

I’ve been using Meguires back to black on my plastics recently as an experiment. Others have used tire gel with good results. I’m currently in the process of trying different things. Here is the back to black. Wish I had a before but it was pretty faded

bffea60144bf5202e48b6398060b8ec0.jpg
b2f690eb8b5ec53c076f6f568220746e.jpg
c18103e69726a74c55cef09091bdaee7.jpg

I’ve been using Meguires back to black on my plastics recently as an experiment. Others have used tire gel with good results. I’m currently in the process of trying different things. Here is the back to black. Wish I had a before but it was pretty faded

bffea60144bf5202e48b6398060b8ec0.jpg
b2f690eb8b5ec53c076f6f568220746e.jpg
c18103e69726a74c55cef09091bdaee7.jpg
That saw too big for fire wood, put that one up for the kids.

Steve

I just painted the plastics on the 036 I had that was faded. The plastic was sort of chaulky. I used OSHA orange which was close enough for the girls I go out with. I'm sure someone has written on the interwebs about a rattle can that is a close match. Stihl used to sell touch up in the rattle can, not sure if they still do though.

I just did Husky 2100 cyl. & AF covers. Water sanded w/red scotchbrite pad then painted w/semigloss polyurethane 5-6 coats. Looks like new and color matched up w/original paint.
Shep

I too have used the wet sand method on one almost white partner I have. It was chalky to the point that you could scrape the finish off using a fingernail. I had some 600 grit and warm water trickling over the saw plastic in the sink ,it came out 100% better.

Mix boiled linseed oil 50-50 with mineral spirits. Apply with fine steel wool. Rub it in and let it sit for a few minutes. Then wipe it off with a clean rag or paper towel. Works pretty good, but those plastic model number plates on the shroud will lose their numbers in the process. Not sure why Stihl ever went to using those. Some guys paint them black in disgust. They love to break off. Stihl, please figure out a better model number nameplate, like what you used 15 years ago. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back