Black Diamond 30-Ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling Bronemann

Stihl lovin country boy
Reaction score
Looking at picking one up tomorrow at my local farm store. I know they are all pretty much made in China unless you spend $3k plus, but they look like a pretty well-built splitter for the money. The one locally has a 11.5 TQ professional series Briggs on it. Marked at about $960 assembled, seems pretty tough to beat. Any insights or input on them before I buy??

Looks like a Speeco clone. Don't know how you could go wrong for $960.

Make sure the motor has a multi position choke and not a primer.

It does have the actual choke lever and fuel shutoff. I figured that was a pretty decent price. They have it all together waiting for me. Just have to get hydraulic oil and fill it up. I was looking at the 34 ton DR, but for $2100 or so I just couldn’t justify double plus cost for the name and a few tons more of splitting force.

https://www.ruralking.com/black-diamond-30-ton-log-splitter-ytl-015-134

Picked it up last night. I think the cashier put the discount in wrong as it ended up being an 18% discount. Price was $901.99. So with tax and 6 gallons of oil, it came out to $1001.67. I was very happy with that! Now just have to get oil in it and start splitting!

I bought a 20 ton Black Diamond last year around Xmas. I paid $720 on sale. After a couple tanks of fuel the pump and control valve went out. It was blowing fluid out of the vent. They fixed it under warranty. They day after they fixed it someone cut the cable at the farm store and stole it. They gave me a brand new one. I had less than a tank of fuel through the new one and the pump and valve went south again. They fixed it under warranty. I’ve split about 4-5 cords since the repairs and have had no issues. Hopefully I’m past the pump issues. Other than that it’s been a good splitter.

Scott

I hand split for about 5 years with a Fiskars X27. Night and day difference with a hydraulic gas powered splitter. I hate the noise, but I cut fresher firewood, and the Fiskars became nearly impossible to do anymore.

Picked it up last night. I think the cashier put the discount in wrong as it ended up being an 18% discount. Price was $901.99. So with tax and 6 gallons of oil, it came out to $1001.67. I was very happy with that! Now just have to get oil in it and start splitting!

I hand split for about 5 years with a Fiskars X27. Night and day difference with a hydraulic gas powered splitter. I hate the noise, but I cut fresher firewood, and the Fiskars became nearly impossible to do anymore.

Gotta get a pair of 3M work-tunes to eliminate the motor noise and listen to some good music. Best $40 spent for anything motorized that's louder than a car. I wish I would've bought work-tunes 10+ years ago!

Got it home and added oil. Started it up and moved it back and forth. Surprise surprise, should've checked connections and everything prior to putting hydraulic oil in. The hydraulic hoses are on backwards. So pushing the lever forward like it should actually pulls the cylinder back. Not that big of deal, but the detent valve works going in the forward stroke instead of pulling it back. Easy fix, just irritating!

Back