Blown away by 346XP!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer0419

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
About two months ago I sold my 372xp and purchased a 346xp, and was pleased with my purchase. Three weeks ago we went through a really bad Hurricane here in NY. With trees down EVERYWHERE and then some, I started to panic for selling my big saw. Even going so far as to look and sell the 346xp to get another 372xp!! I sold the 372xp due to wanting a lighter saw that I could cut with all day and not be dead tired. Knowing I really had no desire for a bigger saw I figured it was time to MOD the 346xp. I had 10 tanks of fuel through it so I was ready to see how it worked.

Friday night I did a nice muffler mod using a newly purchased 288 Exhaust port. Up early saturday morning I went ahead and replaced the LIMITED Coil with a new NON-LIMITED Coil. After tuning it up with my FAST-TACH I set off to the scenes of destruction. I spent all saturday and a good 6 hrs today cutting. Everything I cut was 14-20" Poplar, Ash, and Locust. I was absolutely FLOORED of how well and easy this saw just ate through these trees!!!!!!! I think I uttered the words "HOLY *#*#" for the first 100 or so cuts!!! DAMN THIS SAW KICKS ASS!!!

If the truth were known it's all the saw most people will ever need unless they are doing commercial work. It's a great size saw for most do-it-yourself firewood cutters. If you gave people who bought the 455 and 460 ranchers one they would not believe the difference.

I went from about 10 saws down to two.

And out of those two the 346 get's used about 90% of the time. The 7900 gets the rest.

I have one on the bench tonight, I just finished the muffler mod, the limiters are all ground and the only concern is the blue coil. I'm sure there'll be an improvement, but a black coil would be nice. It'll probably go on the auction block just the way it is, I have a 365 that get's used the most here right now. I don't even use saws very much, I just mod em and move em most of the time. I had a brandy new 346XP NE a couple years ago that I bought at a good deal, I never started it. From these statements, most of you will doubt my sanity I'm sure. :biggrin:

Hammer, what do you run for a bar and chain?

Always good to hear how much people like their 346's...especially with the $75 craigslist special on the bench right now.

I have one on the bench tonight, I just finished the muffler mod, the limiters are all ground and the only concern is the blue coil. I'm sure there'll be an improvement, but a black coil would be nice. It'll probably go on the auction block just the way it is, I have a 365 that get's used the most here right now. I don't even use saws very much, I just mod em and move em most of the time. I had a brandy new 346XP NE a couple years ago that I bought at a good deal, I never started it. From these statements, most of you will doubt my sanity I'm sure. :biggrin:
Yup, yer sanity might be needin' adjustment... I'd keep at least one of them and see if it grows on ya!:hmm3grin2orange:

I just finished my MM and put in the unlimited coil last night. Holy crap does that thing fly!!!!

Hey what do you tach the modded ones at?What I am not sure of is how the unlimited coil helps when it is in the wood ,do the rpms hold that high with a load?

You adjust any unlimited saw according to its needs. Those needs can vary from day to day, even morning to afternoon. I usually warm my saws up and then listen to how they are running, and make any necessary adjustment. Throughout the day, I am revving and listening to see if anything has changed.
An unlimited coil doesn't do anything for actual performance, assuming the parameters of the coil are the same as the limited version. It serves to make it easier to tune by ear, especially a modded saw whose WOT setting will vary from stock specs.

You adjust any unlimited saw according to its needs. Those needs can vary from day to day, even morning to afternoon. I usually warm my saws up and then listen to how they are running, and make any necessary adjustment. Throughout the day, I am revving and listening to see if anything has changed.
An unlimited coil doesn't do anything for actual performance, assuming the parameters of the coil are the same as the limited version. It serves to make it easier to tune by ear, especially a modded saw whose WOT setting will vary from stock specs.

Ahaa:rock:

My boss was doing a major pine removal and I brought in my 346xp for him to work down the smaller parts of the stick. He had never ran one before and stopped mid-cut at about 75ft. and said "this thing rips!". LOL Two other guys I do work with, both have been running saws for a living for 20 years or so, can't stop talking about the thing and it is the first saw I grab after a 200T. Great choice in a saw.

Hammer, what do you run for a bar and chain?

Always good to hear how much people like their 346's...especially with the $75 craigslist special on the bench right now.

I am running an 18" bar with 3 loops of Oregon Chisel and 3 of Oregon Semi-Chisel (for dirty wood). I almost went with a 16" bar but I am very happy with the 18". I could not ask for more.

I prefer the 18" as well on the 346xp. The extra length really comes in handy when felling and limbing, and still balances well. I also have a 20" bar and surprisingly it's not tip heavy.

Back