Bringing an old 40cc Husqvarna "42" back to running....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Noticed the 40cc class saw has regained some interest. I happen to think the Older Husqvarna 234-238-42-242xp-246 series is just a cool class to collect and build. They are as simple as it gets to tear down. They run really strong stock and respond well to simple mods for the tinkerer types among us. I've done timed cuts with that 42 and a tweaked 238 against the current 40cc class offerings. Those old Husqvarna's don't give up anything power wise to the new crop...

The following is a video documenting me taking one that I had stuck together at a GTG a few years back, never finished getting it going and it sat in the back of the garage for all this time until the 40cc interest hit when my wife & I started breaking down tops from the last logging operation. She has a Husqvarna 440e with a muffler mod (5/8in tube stuck in the corner of that restricted muffler) and I had all those "Fugly 350" saw built from a pile of junked 345's and 350's.... but I wanted something different. SO no better reason to rummage around in the junk pile for a project.... stumbled on this saw.... Glad I did as its a perfect saw for that small work.

Good to see yer interested in a nice little saw. Not so good when I saw that video was _34 MINUTES LONG_. I'm on the edge of a forest in Ireland - ain't got no time fo dat! :)

Bon chance, tho ;)

your carbs are just flat out rich on the high and low not just the low. takes 2 pulls when warm because you killed it by flooding it with the choke. definitely sounds like an air leak at 16 min though. tuning and a good filing and i'd run that saw everyday of the week. easy fix with 5 min of your time. i actually really enjoy your vids weimedog. i've watched the bob's saw college vid a few times.

Back